New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold VX I, VXII, VXIII and recoil?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the opinion of the VX1, II and III as to recoil resistance.

Is the only difference the optics or are the higher grade scopes also mechanically stronger.

Mike

Posts: 425 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 08 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no difference in strength. It is all optical. I have a VX1 on a 300H&H and it has worked great.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used vx-1s and the similar Vari-x models on 7mms, 338s and a 375 without a problem. At least a few hundred rounds of each, more with the 7mms.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seeing as how Leupold stands behind all of them,I can't see them building weak ones. If they do they created a big problem for themselves.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman:
Seeing as how Leupold stands behind all of them,I can't see them building weak ones. If they do they created a big problem for themselves.

Sounds logical. On the other hand could Leupold regard the user/buyr of the low grade scope as being less likley to test the rifle etc.

Posts: 425 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 08 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold lists the differences in their scopes in this fequently asked question:
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/resources/faq/#questionFivethis

Hope that comes through as a URL
Bfy

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WbyPower:
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman:

Sounds logical. On the other hand could Leupold regard the user/buyr of the low grade scope as being less likley to test the rifle etc.

The 378's will test them right out Mike. Wink

Get a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x24 and quit buggering about. Big Grin

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The VX-I and II are actually based on a somewhat older and time-tested design (that of the original Vari-X II). The VX-III is a later design (that of the Vari-X III). All experience I have had indicates that the I-II design holds up under recoil as well as any variable scope made. My best guess is that the III's are equally recoil resistant. However, there seem to be more anecdotal tales of failure on heavy recoiling rifles with the III-series than the I-II, but I am assuming that that is because the III's are more frequently selected for the big boomers.

I would be confident with any of them (and I have a II on a very light weight .375 H&H that is holding up just fine). If you want less exposure to recoil failure, you'll have to go to a fixed power scope.

Regardless of Leupold's advertising hype, the optical and mechanical performance of the I is so close to that of the III that the differences are de minimus.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I have a VX III on a 416 Rem Mag that has had hundreds of rounds through it without incident.

Also mounted a VX II on a 375 , 100 plus rounds to date, no problems.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
I have a VX III on a 416 Rem Mag that has had hundreds of rounds through it without incident.

Also mounted a VX II on a 375 , 100 plus rounds to date, no problems.

I could say the same with different 6 X 42s, but overall scope failue is a problem if you combine the following:

1) Lots of shooting and especially if the rifles are accurate and the shots are recorded on paper.

2) Recoil is 270, perhaps 300 Magnum or greater.

3) Heavy bulles, big bore, fast powder, light rifle....the 458 Win/Lott and 450 Ackley are the stars.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Searching on many forums tends to suggest that the 2.5X Leupold Compact/UltraLight is the best.

I have tried a couple of times emailing Leupold and they seem to avoid the problem. Their FAQ is interesting on "first and second plane" for variable. No mention about "point of impact". They only talk about reticle size in relation to target and which is best if a range finder reticle is being used.

This is the latest reply I got from Leupold....not good

Mike, yes the 1.75-6 has a longer tube and will handle recoil pretty
good. The VX-III 2.5-8 handgun scope is a good one too with longer
eyerelief.

Thank You,

Support CallID: %#%9f951de5-0eb9-4678-9c2b-3f089237dcba%#%

one of us
posted Hide Post
Regarding the VX I,II and III: Do any of you have a favorite and proven QD system? Is the return to zero consistant?

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
down here, quite a few vx-3 4.5-14 B&C have been send back because they have what we now call 'leupold disease' that is, they wont track reliably and wont hold a proper zero and will move POI between shots

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do any of you have a favorite and proven QD system?

Obviously, it has nothing to do with the partiular scope you put in them, but I have done quite a bit of testing of QD mounts, and unless you want to get into some very heavy, very costly mil-spec picatinny setups (like Smith's etc.) I don't think you can beat Talley's. I have a bunch of scopes set up in them, and their return to zero is excellent. None of them are flawless, but the Talley's are as good as any I've tried (including some of the aforementioned military units) and better than most. The rings are vertically split, which they say contributes to their performance....they also look reasonable on a hunting rig, which I like.

Good luck!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote