Login/Join

One of Us
posted
for Remington 700 .30-06 Spr.
Stupid?

Posts: 171 | Location: Finland | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I might catch **** for telling you that your good to go but when the Pro Hunter line of scopes first came out J.Barsness(Rifle mag)did a test of the 3-9x40. Put it through a number of tests but the one that impressed me was the 40+ shots he did with it on a 7.5lb .338 mag(I've got a 7.25lb .300 so I can relate to the recoil). In the end he said that it was the best scope in its price line and better than some that cost more. I asked him this past fall about that scope and he said he still has it and uses it on a number of rifles.
I've got one in the 2-7x32 configuration that I bought for my .22 squirrel rifle but after mounting it on a Mod70 .25-06 and checking it out I left it there. It's clear,has GREAT eye relief,its light,and the moisture repellent on the lenses works.
That's about all I can tell ya except that you do have other options. But since you asked about the Pro Hunter I'll leave it at that and leave the options to others who may want to expand your thread.

til later

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simmons, for the money, are actually quite good as the previous poster noted.

What are you wanting to do with the rifle? Is this a shortage of $$$ question? A new rifle you don't want to spend a lot on to see if it shoots?

I have a Simmons on my .22 Hornet and have been very happy with it, but it's a plinker not my primary rifle for an African safari.

Fill in the blanks and you will get much more thoughtful and thorough responses.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Remington 700 .30-06 is mayby first 700-modells.( 1996 ) Wood stock (lacquer like bowling alley floor).It is like new ones, because I have seven other rifles(like 22-250Rem, .308Win, 9,3x57 Mauser). I use it very seldom. It is trag driver with tight chamber. It has now 4x40 fixed Bushnell Banner(made in USA?) The scope was new like the gun too when I put it to the gun. Is Simmons Pro Hunter = Bushnell Banner with endurance?
I use 150-220 bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got to say that those old fixed power Banners were tough! If your set on a Prohunter it'll work but remember any brand scope can fail. It would sure help if you would tell us how much you have to spend on a scope! There may be a better scope you like that may not cost as much as you think.

til later

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It has now 4x40 fixed Bushnell Banner(made in USA?)
Nope, no Bushnells ever made in U.S. that I know of, all Asian. That's not to say that the old Bushnell fixed power scopes are not highly serviceable. Nearly everyone's fixed power scope, even the price leader lines, are pretty good. It's when they start trying to get fancy and make them into variables with higher magnification that they start building in fatal flaws.

Simmons has used a number of Asian suppliers for its proprietary scope line through the years. Once, on a bear hunt in Northern Alberta, I saw a fellow hunter's entire objective bell fall off when he fired a sighting shot the first morning in camp. This was about 150 miles from the nearest sporting goods store. Luckily, he was primarily bow hunting, so he just put his rifle with the broken scope away and proceeded with his archery pursuits. I don't know who supplied this particular Simmons scope, but I've always been leary of the "brand" since then.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K. W.:
EP and Stonecreeg, thank you very fine infofmation.
Sorry my language.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
K.W.,NO apology necessary! That's what makes the world go round. Just let us know what you decide on for a scope and how it works out for ya. We can all use more hands on info.

til later

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other than the variable power, I'm not sure you're getting anything with the change. Is there something about the 4x fixed that needs changing? If you don't use the rifle much at all why mess with it?

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The price of these bad scope is here
in Finland $320. There is now special price $190. I was thinking......mayby better, that I shall to forget Simmons things.
Remington has Redfiel scope mount. It is very easy to change scope on it.
I can only read and write Finnish, Swedish and Germany.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's way to much money for a Simmons. Maybe you can find a used,better brand name scope for that price. Keep in touch and let us know how you do. GOOD LUCK!
Germany=GOOD scopes

til later

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can only read and write Finnish, Swedish and Germany.

You're way ahead of me. All I can do is Texan! dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think, Texas is bigger than Finland + Sweden + Germany.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya better believe it is hombre!

til later

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Simmons Pro Hunter on a .270. I like it. But then I also like my Bushnell Trophy... Smiler

Posts: 15936 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote