New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mounting a scope with a rail ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What kind of bases do you need to mount a scope with a rail to a bolt-action rifle?

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What kind of a rail, Bill?? There are 2 basic types: prismatic (old fashioned) rails, which have to be drilled to fasten the mounts. Or, the (modern) "internal" rails first introduced by Zeiss and later copied (with some modifications/improvements) by Swaro and S&B.

I saw on the Classified forum that you seem to be a Swaro man. If a Swaro SR is in the cards for you, the easiest is to get a pair of Swaro adapters for the SR rail. They will fit onto Weaver type bases.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
DB BIll, here are the 2 types as explained by mho.

Old prism (must be drilled !)

New model.

The older prism has to be drilled. This is not a do-it-yourself project as you need a special fixture to hold the scope in order to drill square through the prism. The new version looks like a reversed picatinny system and can easily be installed by yourself. Another advantage of the latter is that there are no orphan holes showing in case you want to transfer the scope to another rifle.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scope would be a Swarovski Z6 or Z6i in 1-6x24EE with the circle-dot reticle.... with the rail mounting system, of course.

What rifle I would put it on is still undecided. I'm really thinking hard about an O/U chambered in 9.3x74R (Heym, Chapuis, Zoli) but the back-up plan would be a Remington Model 700 chambered in .350 Remington Magnum --- kind of an American 9.3x62mm with lighter bullets.

A friend is pushing me toward a Blaser 93 chambered in 9.3x62mm but I'm thinking if I spend that much I'd rather spend a bit more and get one of the O/U's.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a Swaro SR system. I prefer the Warne bases, but any good ones will work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Doug at Cameraland has the mount U are seeking...

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Swarovski 1.25X4X24 (Habicht) scope with a rail mount on my 400 Whelen.

If I could afford it (and I can't) I would have rail mounts on all my rifles.

Swarovski makes the connecting mounts (rail to base) for Weaver style, Ruger style, and several European styles. You get a set free with the scope (actually it's a coupon you send to Swarovski and they then mail you the pieces).

What is so sweet about this set up is that you don't have to worry about where the turrets are relative to the scope rings, so you can adjust the occular to just the right distance from your eye.

I like them. I can't figure out why none of our American companies haven't copied them.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Garrett, they don't make rails for a number of reasons.

Because 90% of American hunters won't buy them.

Because everytime someone breaks from tradition (i.e. Leupold saddle mounts ) and anything that doesn't resemble, a redfield, weaver, or talley mount is considered to be odd by whitetail hunters and not worthy of further inquiry.

I love saddle mounts, I wish all American companies made them. Even Leupolds 2 year try into saddle mounts failed. Accuracy International and Sako make them for their guns, but not one American company does anymore Crazy!

And if they won't make saddle mounts, as cheap as they are, and odd as they are why would they develop scope rails?

If it happens at all it will be Burris or Trijicon that does it. Leupold has to wait for other people to do things. They are pretty slow to the punch on a lot of stuff.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N. Garrett:
aSwarovski makes the connecting mounts (rail to base) for Weaver style, Ruger style, and several European styles. You get a set free with the scope (actually it's a coupon you send to Swarovski and they then mail you the pieces).

That´s absolutely new to me that Swarovski makes mounts, but if so, could You give me an adress or so I could ask for a Ruger-Swaro-SR-rail-Mount?

Klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
To the best of my knowledge, Swarovski never made mounts or parts of. Nor did Zeiss, Schmidt & Bender, etc.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swarovski does indeed make the connecting piece that joins the rail (part of the scope) to the bases.

(As far as I know Swarovski doesn't make any bases)

I should clarify...the connecting pieces are marked Swarovski, and come in a small box much like the Talley rings come in. I don't know who does the actually machining.

I'll look in my scope box for the address, but as best I remember it was simply Swarovski North America (their headquarters).

The connecting pieces got here fast...maybe 2 weeks after I mailed in the coupon.

Garrett

one of us
posted Hide Post
The address was:
Swarovski Optik North America
2 Slater Road
Cranston, RI 02920

Hope that helps,

Garrett

One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N. Garrett:
The address was:
Swarovski Optik North America
2 Slater Road
Cranston, RI 02920

Hope that helps,

Garrett

Thanks!

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote