Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold VXR?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted
Anyone have any experience with the VXR? 30mm and illumm reticle. I am thinking about one for a double rifle although 30mm scopes can sometimes look too big on a small frame DR.

Posts: 17180 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
No experience although I just bought the VXR in 1.25X4X20 Firedot 4. Have Burris XTR QD rings on order and this rig will be going on my M77 in .458 Win Mag. My other 458 has a trijicon on it (which I love) but I thought I'd try this setup to see how it compares. Sorry I can't say yeah or nay yet but I did make the plunge to buy it.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Thanks; that is what I was interested in; how does it compare to a Trijicon. how does the reticle look, just holding it and looking out the window. Notice you have a Sab; I have a 450; shoots great and I think it is a great rifle for the money, despite all the nay sayers who have never seen one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a VX-R 4-12X40 on a Browning A-bolt in 308Win. This scope is as clear of scope I have ever looked through including my buddies Nightforce. I don't have any negative comments on this optic at all.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Thanks; good report.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a VX-R 3-9 that I put atop my 9.3x62 and 6.5x55 barrels. I like it and it allowed me to take some shots that would have been very difficult without the illuminated reticle.

For me they are a good value. I do wish the higher powers were equipped with an adjustable objective of some sort.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
As long as you're not night hunting the glass is good. I have the 4-12x40 atop an R93 6,5x55 barrel and no comlaints. The Ill Dot in a Duplex works great.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I don't night hunt but do hunt in late evening where good optics will let you see bears very well but you can't see the reticle on black fur. So this should would work well; thanks.

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
how does the reticle look, just holding it and looking out the window

Optics are good and clear. The illuminated reticle really helps in low light. Still waiting for my rings to come in so I can get it mounted. Think it will be comparble to my Trijicon.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
I have the VX-R 1.25-4 X 20 Firedot 4 on my 338-06. Very nice scope. It has a motion sensor that shuts the illumination off when stationary for some time, then turns back on when moved again. Pretty clever battery saver.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote