THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody using Burris B-Plex with a 7mm-08?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm thinking about getting a Burris Signature Select 3x10x40 with the Balistic Plex reticle to sit atop of a Tikka T3 Hunter in 7/08.

I've looked over their tech. info on their website about the scope but was curious as to some real world input from those that may be using them.

It will be used for a mid-range (long range in my parts) whitetail set-up, around fields and such with max shooting distances occuring in the 300 - 400 yd. range and 200 - 300 yd. shots being more frequent. I'll be using 140 gr. loads.

I'm also looking at the Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 w/ Z-Plex reticle as well as the 4200 Elite 3x9x40.... but that's another thread in itself.

Appreciate any info you might have.

Many thanks,

YB.

Posts: 47 | Location: Tidewater, Virginia | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill

The Ballistic Plex should be workable with the 7-08. For example the B-Plex dots are located at the following distances below the bull when the cross hairs are on the bullseye:

crosshairs - zeroed
1st dot -1.5"
2nd dot -4.3"
3rd dot - 7.3"
4th dot -11"

which means in a perfect world the trajectory of a matching bullet would be

crosshairs - 100 yds
1st dot - 200 yds - drop of 3"
2nd dot - 300 yds - drop of 13"
3rd dot - 400 yds - drop of 29"
4th dot - 500 yds - drop of 55"

The 7-08 shooting a 150 gr Ballistic Tip at 2800 fps would drop the following

100 yds zeroed
200 yds -3.5"
300 yds -12.9"
400 yds -29"
500 yds -52.6"

That's pretty close.

I have a Burris Black Diamond with the Ballistic Mil Dot which is a great scope with the side focus and all, but the BMD is much more suitable for a real flat shooter and is actually made for the 22-250. I also have a Kahles with the TDS reticle which is on my 30-06 and matches my 200 gr Accubond load real close. In addition I just got a Kahles Multi-Zero which will go on a 280 AI.

The one Ballistic Plex Burris that I have fiddled with is on a friends gun and it was a 3x12x44. I would not recommend that scope! The reason is that it had a lot of parallax and had no adjustable objective. I do not know if the 3x10x40 would have as much parallax or not.

The 3x9x40 Zeiss Conquest is an excellent scope. I have a 3x9x50 Conquest on a 300 win mag and it is the most clear scope I have (some of them cost 4 times as much! Roll Eyes) However you wouldn't get to play with the Ballistic Plex part of it. It would be twice the scope though.

Don't know about the 4200.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Woods, and thanks for the reply.

I agree, that Zeiss sure is a nice scope. I had a chance to do a side by side comparison with a 3x9x40 Conquest and a 3x9x40 4200 Elite today at a BassPro shop (not the best lighting conditions in there) and to my eyes the Zeiss appeared to have a bit better clarity, but hard to tell for sure under those lighting conditions.

I did much prefer the Z-plex reticle on the Zeiss over the Multi-Plex on the 4200 also.

Unfortunately, they didn't have a 3x10x40 Signature Series at the store to compare to the others. I'm really looking into the Burris as I think the B-Plex would be perfect for my intended application with this scope.

Appreciate the input.

YB

Posts: 47 | Location: Tidewater, Virginia | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Bill

By far the best place to get a scope is at the optic zone. Jon posts here and I have bought a couple of scopes from them and they are first rate and the cheapest, especially on Zeiss. You might have to e-mail for a price, but I bought my 3x9x50 Conquest for $419.00. The 50 mm objective does raise the scope on the rifle so the 3x9x40 would be great on a 7-08. Check out his Burris prices also.

BTW, I reload for a rifle that has the Posi-Lock and I don't care for it. Have to zero, then lock, then calculate how far you moved it, unlock, rezero, lock and so on until you get it right. Oh, and don't ever forget to unlock before you adjust the crosshairs. Too much to worry about, don't need it.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woods,

Thanks for some great info again. I've been checking into the prices of these scopes and agree that Jon has the best prices around. I absolutely intend to order from him when I finally decide which one to get.

I only go to the local BassPro to do my "fondeling" .... their prices are rediculous!!!

Appreciate the info on the Posi-Lock also, I almost thought I "needed" it as well, until I did a bit of research.

Thanks again for all the helpful input and advice.

YB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have come close to buying a ballistic plex scope a few times and have 2 freinds who bought them on my recommendation and both love them so far.

But when comparing the Burris line to my 3x9x40 Zeiss Conquest - it just wouldn't make sense to trade. At the end of shooting time I can make out bark details on trees at 100 yards, after bouncing off every ice patch on the mountain with me it seems the POI doesnt change, it is hard to tell much difference between it an another hunters Schmidt & Bender except for the big 56mm at the end of the day.

This year and last it helped me kill elk at 300 yards with the same confidence I would have at 100 yards. If you have your mind made up I'm sure you will enjoy the Burris but I wouldn't choose it over the Conquest under any circumstances.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote