Find
Notify
Tools

question about Trijicon scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted
Gents, had a question about a Trijicon scope I looked at today. It was the 1-4x24 with the German #4 and the green dot (the TR243G).

The green dot was almost impossible to see indoors and not much better outdoors on a cloudy day. Much different from my Trijicon 3-9 and the 1.25-4 I used to have which were bright enough.

The dealer has had the scope on display for quite some time and the fiber optic portion is just a few inches directly under a light in the display case.

Is it possible the fiber optics get 'washed out' so to speak from exposure to the light for 12 hours a day every day?

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No. Fiber optic cable merely transmits available light; it can break but it won't wear out (otherwise it wouldn't be used to transmit voice and data).

What were you using as a backdrop Was it dark-colored or light-colored?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
George,, thanks, I looked at all sorts of backgrounds, indoors and out. I could barely see the green dot. Completely different in brightness from the red triangle or amber dot in my other Trijicons.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 of these and the triangle is bright indoors on them

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Trijicon dot scopes are worthless.

The picket post is excellent.

That's all you need to know.

one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
The illuminated triangle atop the post reticle always seemed to be a bit brighter to my eyes. I believe I read somewhere that the green coloration attracts the eye better. Personally, I prefer the amber or red post.

To side step for a minute...

Back yet again Larry? Why??

It simply boggles the mind why Lawrence Root (pigmaster/bumfarto/4barexpert/silverbullet/ 45-70shooter/artshaw, etc, ect...) feels compelled to continually circumvent the wishes of the Moderators, Admin. and/or Owner for him to be gone from a web sight where he is neither welcomed nor wanted.

Rather pathetic.

quote:
Originally posted by Moderator GeorgeS:
bumfarto/4barexpert/silverbullet45/artshaw/45-70 shooter,

Why do you keep registering here? You've been removed repeatedly.

Take the hint - you are not welcome here.

George

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
when you looked outdoors with it, were you still indoors or were you actually physically out side? It makes a huge difference if you are in natural light vs artificial

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a window on the back top of the scope eyepiece which I believe is called the mechanical brightness control. That window can be opened or closed to adjust the brightness by limiting the amount of light entering the scope. Make sure it is wide open then adjust according to need. What you are describing sounds like that window is in a closed position. Larry01 has one for sale in the classifieds that shows the window in the full open position.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote