New
Find
Notify
Tools

large power binos v.s. spotter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there anyone out there that uses a large power set of binoculars rather than a spotting scope? Looking for recommendations for a set to purchase that wont break the bank.
I have the tripod attachment for my Swarovski 10x40 EL's, and absolutely love using them for glassing rather than a spotter. I find that my eyes are never strained with this set-up, but I would love to find a higher power rig, say in a 20x60, for glassing mountain bowls from the quad before making that long hike to check it out first hand.
I previously have had a swarovski spotter that I thought was ridiculously heavy and hard to stabilize off the tripod, and went back to the Luepold gold ring. Both are quality glass, but still don't offer the comfort of glassing with a good set of binos on a tripod. I have good quality binos to pack into the bush, or up the hill when I find what I am looking for, and the large binos can stay in the quad or truck when I leave.
Not looking for another spotter as an option, this thread is all about what kind of large optic binos are out there.

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last 20 years, the 15x56mm binoculars have become the standard. Actually started in AZ. Cous deer hunting. It was discovered that if you have the terrain that affords you the opportunity to glass and pick it apart, without leaving you tired stalking and leaving your scent every where and movement indicator, You will see more game and fill more tags.
Trophy big game hunters in the west have discovered the same and many are becoming converts.
If you are hunting by yourself or with one partner and you have to carry all your gear, a large bino. is better than a spotter. Just my opinion. If you have a third partner, than add a spotter for trophy analyzation. If you have an atv or horses and can afford it, have both.
Large binoculars are a pleasure to use when SUPPORTED and you will spot more game.
The best 15x56mm bino. today is the Swarovski HD Swarovision model around $2,200. Used $1,900.
Their older version is a good buy, especially used at $1,300-1,500. Then you have the Leica 15x56mm with a built in rangefinder $3,300 new, $2,200 used. Zeiss Conquest around $1,200, Meopta, Vortex, Minox etc... $600-900.
When you think about it. Entire hunting trips are dependent on locating game before you can do anything else. If you can't see them you can't shoot them. Large binos., definetly have their merits.
Some companies that specialize in astronomy, have produced very large binoculars. They are excessively expensive, large, heavy and not field worthy. With a google search you can find some. Just be aware that the cheaper models are not worthy of owning. It is always about the glass.
Best of luck to you.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had the good fortune to own and use great spotters but when I think in practical terms I carry a Leopold gold ring 12-45X60HD.
the reason is the size and mainly eye relief. Any spotter is fine off a bench but if you are in some contorted position on the side of a mountain that long eye relief could keep you from cramping up and is just more comfortable.
I like a nice set of mid 20 oz. 10X42's around my neck. The Leopold spotter in my pack.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What binocular tripod do you recommend? Any pointers as to what features are most important?

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2 different tools for 2 very different jobs. You need both. Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look up the Outdoorsman in AZ., They make top end hunting gear. One of them is their tripod and adapters. Most will send them their bino. and they will install the adapter to make it more tripod friendly. Unless you buy the bino. from them.

Just a thought, Swarovski has a 12x50mm EL, and leica 12x50mm HD. They are both superb. They can be held by hand by some, but definitely excel on a tripod. It is the one optic option, unless you go to a variable like the Leica 8-12x40mm.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tripod; Try to find one that has a small "fluid head". It will pan like it is on greased ball bearings.
Once you use one, you will never settle for anything less.
Here is a thought. Buy a trigger stick (tripod). Unscrew the V notch rest. attach a micro fluid head.There is a standard threaded stud that will accept a camera or spotter but lacks tilt and pan. If you need a rifle rest later on reattach the V notch.
The trigger sticks set up fast and and easy leveling on uneven terrain.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote