THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Base and Ring Question (Need Everyone's Opinions)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Base and Ring Question (Need Everyone's Opinions)
 Login/Join

posted
Hi Guys,

Im finally to the point where I can travel with a group of friends and go huning. I live in New York and plan on traveling to Colorado and Canada next season for Elk and Carabou.

I purchased a Kimber Montana 8400 with a Zeiss Conquest 3.5 X 10 X 44 scope. Im perplexed as t what bases and rings to use.

The shop where I purchased the rifle threw in the Kimber mounts for free, but since I will be travelling, I don't know if quick release mounts would be a good idea.

Im getting a Pelican case which will be custom molded, and can remove the scope and have a back up. I know the air lines are not careful with the equipment from what my buddies have told me.

I was looking at Talley bases, Quick Release rings with levers, with out, Perm mounts, and lightweight.

Anyone have any opinions? Pictures?

I have used the Leupold standard mounts on my other rifles and dual dove tail mounts with out issue.

I guess I am worried about my scope being damaged in transit and being stuck in a spike camp in Colorado with out a useable scope rifle.

I was also thinking about the Griffith & Howe side mount, I have one on my BRNO 21H

I would really appreciate everyone's opinions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have become somewhat neutral about QD rings and travel. I have Talley, Warne, and G&H Side Mount. Whatever the mount system you can take a second scope pre-mounted in rings. You have a very good case and that goes a long way.

I am more concerned about stock breakage at the neck of the stock during travel. I believe when this occurs it is related to an un-even load on the case and the bolt handle acts like a lever point to break stock. I always take the bolt out during travel. Wrap in bubble wrap if needed.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Buliwyf that if a gun is going to be damaged in transit there are more vulnerable areas than the scope/mounts. In general, most mounting systems are fully strong enough to withstand airline shipping so long as the gun is secured in a good case. The QD mount has the advantage of detaching from the gun so you can give the scope a little extra protection.

I'm not particularly a fan of QD mounts, but you are going to check your gun's zero once you arrive, anyway. By the way, the change in temperature and humidity between home and the hunting location usually has more to do with drifting zero than does shipping trauma.

Everyone has his favorite gun case for shipping. I used an SKB double case on a trip to Africa and it performed well. There are several others on the market that also do a good job.

Hint: Take along some kind of soft gun case, also. I like to pack my gun inside the soft case, then inside the hard case. Use the soft case once you reach the hunting area because your airline case will be cumbersome and unwelcome for daily use. Your chance of damaging your gun while hunting and using ground transportation to/from the hunting field is always greater than the chance of airline damage, so the soft case will come in handy.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My opinion is that you are buying equipment that is too fancy.

Go to the gun show and look for the cheapest gun at the show.

Buy the cheapest scope.

Get frustrated for years, and THEN buy good equipment.

It's worked for me.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.leupold.com/tactica...-systems/qrw-mounts/

This is what I use. I also use the prw rings as well.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 23 December 2008 23:13 Hide Post
My opinion is that you are buying equipment that is too fancy.

Go to the gun show and look for the cheapest gun at the show.

Buy the cheapest scope.

Get frustrated for years, and THEN buy good equipment.

It's worked for me.

yup - done that space but just look at all the experience you gained Roll Eyes now the 1st items on the list for travel are superglue and ducttape hilbily

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote