Find
Notify
Tools

new S&B 2.5-10X40 with 1" tube.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted
Saw an ad for this scope in the latest SAFARI magazine.
About time they make a good mountain type scope.
Should be a good thing...

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
MOUNTAIN HUNT
This weighs less than the 1" S&B

Elegant, versatile low profile scope with widely adaptable power range. The perfect solution for a lightweight and fast handling rifle on mountain hunts or in the bush. Moderate objective offers excellent light transmission Also available with rail.
http://www.zeiss.com/c1256bcf0...8d6685256bcf0061320d

Victory Diavari
2.5-10x42 T*
Magnification
2.5x - 10.0x
Effective Lens Diameter
37.3 mm - 42.0 mm
Exit Pupil Diameter
15.0 mm - 4.2 mm
Twilight Factor
7.1 - 20.5
Field of View (ft/100 yards)
43.5 - 12.0
Diopter Range
+2/-3 dpt
Eye Relief (in)
Parallax-Free (yds)
Square Adjustment Range (in/100 yds)
Adjustment per Click (cm/100 meters)
1/3 MOA†
Center Tube Diameter
30 mm
Eye Piece Tube Diameter
40 mm
Objective Tube Diameter
48 mm
LotuTec®
yes
Nitrogen Filled
yes
Waterproof
400 mbar
Functional Temperature Range
-13/+122 °F
Length
12.28 in
Weight
15.52 oz

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I don't see the point. There goes S&B quality.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
I don't see the point. There goes S&B quality.

Seth, are you commenting on the first or the second post in this thread??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
according ot my email from S&B, weight will be 16.8oz and available in June.

16.8oz for a 1" tube?
i wouldnt pay 1700 for a 1" tube with SFP reticle

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I use both S&B and Zeiss but can't see why you say the S&B quality will falter.
The way I see it is that they opened a door into the lightweight scope market and next time I'm after a scope that falls into this category, I will most certainly look at this one.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Have a look to the new Swarovski Z6i 2,5-15x44 - AWESOME, especially with the ballistic turrent -> that´s what I want next for my battery here...

No other company is offering scopes with HD lenses (the crystal clear image of those scopes is breathtaking!) and no other company has these advantages like BT , parrlaxe adjustment and SR-rail in an "ordinary hunting scope" ...

Go for this one and You won´t regret it!

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Mostly just bitching as I don't like 1 inche scopes.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So you're one who thinks "size does matter".

What does 30mm give you except a few more clicks vertically and horizontally? You don't think the bigger 30mm tube does anything else --do you?

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
technically 30mm tubes are stronger

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Does the 30mm tube bring in more light?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:

That is a contentious issue. I think not, but sometimes this claim is made by manufacturers to sell scopes.

Not so long ago, you needed a 30mm scope to get a 4x magnification range - e.g. 2.5-10x. The larger the zoom range, the more versatile the scope - e.g. useable for running game as well as having high magnification for best accuracy work. The 4x limitation seems to slowly disappear these days.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:

NO, but the quality of the optics could get better and the reticle is adjustable in broader field.

In extremes You could concentrate the light in a fraction of an inch and "pump" it through the tube, but this will not result in a brilliant image of your optics. Having bigger lenses means that You could calculate and manufact them better and the result will be a better image in your optics...

That´s it...

And the new Z6i scopes are an extreme of sharpness and brilliance - they are awesome!

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

No. Scope tubes don't "bring in light".
Glass allows light to pass thru the scope tube however.
Answer: Buy GREAT glass.
1" scope tubes rock. 30mm scope tubes are fugly on top of a magnificent rifle.
30 mm tubes have two attributes that separate them from 1" scope tubes, neither of which have anything to do with you, the shooter, seeing game animals better.
1. They allow for more adjustment travel than 1" tubes.
2. They are stronger than 1" tubes. So, if your horse falls down crushing your scope tube, the 30mm tube has a better chance of survival than a 1" tube scope....
Answer: Buy great glass if you want a better image.

Don

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
So you're one who thinks "size does matter".

What does 30mm give you except a few more clicks vertically and horizontally? You don't think the bigger 30mm tube does anything else --do you?

I know they do Bill, I have similar scopes in both 1 inch and 30mm from the same maker. I am guessing you don't hunt the same way I do.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I would say for 95% of American hunts that a one inch scope is fine.

Europeans hunt at night in moonlight or with remaining natural light.

I will counter Don's words.

1. I like the way 30mm scopes look, even 3-12x56 giants. In my mind they look better.

2. The tube strength is stronger, but even stronger still with Docter and Schmidt and Bender scopes being made of steel.

3. They have bigger erectors, bigger refractors, bigger lenses, and all things being equal pass more light and have a sharper image.

Since the most Americans hunt with the Leupold Vari-X II or III, or Nikon Buckmaster comparing one of these $250-650 one inch wonders to a 30mm European scope is like comparing my Dodge Neon to a Mercedes Benz E series sedan. They are both sedans, but mine is not designed for the same things.

I don't see it as Ego, but more of why skimp on the most important part of the equation. You can't hit what you can't see. Even if you can see them through your $1500 Swarovski Binoculars when you switch to your Leupold one inch your screwed.

One of Us
Picture of Ingvar J. Kristjansson
posted Hide Post
AMEN ! I totally agree with D99...no offence but I have never understood why so many American hunters can settle for rubbish scopes they so often put on their rifles !

Posts: 510 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ingvar J. Kristjansson:
...I have never understood why so many American hunters can settle for such rubbish scopes they so often put on their rifles !

Ah, diplomacy at work on an international forum...

- mike

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth we have some good rifle scopes in 30mm made in America.

The Burris Euro and Black Diamond line are exceptional 30mm scopes.

The new Trijicon line of rifle scopes are also exceptional.

Even that gold ring bastard Leupold makes a very nice 30mm and 34 mm scopes in their new VX-7L line. But at the same prices as a Schmidt and Bender or Ziess it isn't worth not buying a Euro.
Are these American 30mm scopes as good as the best

One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
i have owned S&B (3 or 4 of them), swaro PH, VX7, and this diavari is "better" dont know what its but zeissb uilds one bright scope with great resolution and color accuracy!
all optically excellent and perform well enough for anything. The zeiss can be had cheaper in the states than the other 2, is lighter, and has more than enough eye relief.

I considered waiting for the 1" S&B but prefer30mm tubes as well and FFP reticles plus the zeiss has a true #4