New
Find
Notify
Tools

Geram Scopes with european rails or prisms
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've searched through the back postings and everything seemed to be several years old and didn't quite address the issue so here goes.

I recently purchased an older Zeiss 6x42 Diatal scope at a gun show for $100. The scope appears to be of excellent quality as we expect from Zeiss and the optics are great but it has the rail or prism on the bottom for mounting I also have a new Hensoldt Duralyt I picked up some years ago that has the same provisions for mounting.

Looking in a 1985 Frankonia I had laying around it appears that they offered a "Suhler-Einhakmontage" mount for these type scopes. I can't read German and have no idea where one could find one of these mounts today. The scope they were selling them appeared to be avaliable with and without the rail. One option on the scopes they offer is a "Schiene" but not sure if this is the rail or something else.

I understand an outfit called New England Custon Firearms carries some German EAW mounts but not none of the search engines seem to find their web site.

Can anyone give me some assistance with getting these scopes mounted? I've love to put the Zeiss on my 1934 Merkel drilling.

Posts: 100 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
"Schiene" does indeed mean "rail". The classic Sühler clawmount is the best and most reliable take off mount but, it is very expensive (it requires lots of handwork by a craftsman + rebluing the rifle after soldering on the bases). As an example, here's one on my double FN rifle :

There's a more economical (NB : I didn't say cheap...) alternative : the Ernst Appel Werke (EAW) in swingout (return to zero is 100% sure) or fixed version. A real work of art ; look at this swingout EAW on my Sauer 202 :

I've had several like this one in the past and never had a problem. Last but not least, they're available in the U.S. :
http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tv,

You certainly got the DEAL of the Century on the pefect Drilling scope IMO.

The option you've selected is certainly "the Classic" Drilling fixture to mount a scope. Like André said; (good pics of correctly mounted scopes) if you want to mount this Zeiss on your Drilling there's only two options; either the "Suhler Einhakmontage" (Suhler Claw Mount) or an EAW "Schwenkmontage" (EAW Pivot/Swing Mount). It's 6 of one; half a dozen on the other as to which way you'll go. Like André says; theer's more hand fitting required for the Suhler Einhakmontage that for the EAW Schwenkmontage. Also if the mounts are done correctly the Einhakmontage ALWAYS has the scope under stress; if the EAW is done correctly the scope is stress-free. Depending on which option you select; combined with the correct Bits& Pieces; sometimes the Suhler Einhalmontage will get you a couple mm's lower scope mount than the EAW.

Both are expensive options since with either mount the rib on the Drilling has to be cut, the mount feet soldered onto the barrel/rib area (correctly spaced both for the placement of the feet on the rib and for the holes to be drilled to join the scope to the prism/rails), the rail drilled correctly to install the Prism/Rail into the Claw/Pivot foot, and affected areas re-blued.

I'm sure NECG's has a way of doing the measuring but of the three Einhakmontage I've had done the Gunsmith has always taken his time (often several measuting sessions) since there is always a touch one way or the other on fine adjsutments involved in getting everything right, 'Cause once the Bits & Pieces are soldered, the rib cut, and the scope drilled there's not too much leaway.

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/

http://www.eaw.de/eaw/index_uk.php

Good Luck with your project.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andre, Gerry-

Many Thanks for your valuable information!

The drilling currently has the mounting plates for the Suhler type claw mounts so I'll probably stay with them if possible. Was there any sort of standard in 1934 as to the dimesnsions of these mounts or were they each a unique creation? I would expect more uniformity of the major manufactuers like Merkel, JP Sauer etc. than the guild guns but maybe I am incorrect.

Do you or anyone have any dimensional drawings for the claw mounts? If I can come close to matching the existing bases or plates I would rather do some hand fitting of the claw pieces as the bases or plates are engraved to match the rib.

Happy hunting and fishing. if you ever come to Alaska look me up and I'll buy you a beer and take you fishing.

Posts: 100 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tv,

Thanks for the kind words and very generous offer. IF I'm ever in Alaska; I'll take you up on your offer for a Fishing outing!

Since the bases for the Claw Mounts are already in place it's now a matter of matching the scope's eye relief to the front prism with it's "Claw" (actually two hooks) and the rear release fixture and your eye.

The issue here is that the Teutons (and the Gunsmiths that install such mounts) due to the drop in the comb of the stock tended (and still due to a degree) shoot with a VERY erect head position. This usually results (epsecially for a Giraffe-neck like myself) in the scope being mounted; for lack of a better term - "too far back". Since the scope must be levered straight up & FORWARD to relaease the Claw Mount from the front foot means that the critical clearance is the amount of overhang that the front of the scope has in relation to the Claw. or the scope will not have enough "lever" or clearance to be released.

Net, you're gonna have to build everything around the two existing plates that are already soldered on.

I do not have any drawings and while the parts are currebtly pretty much standardized the ribs, spacing, scope type, shooters measurments, etc. are all critical in obtaining a good mount with the proper eye relief.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote