New
Find
Notify
Tools

JC Higgins FN Mauser rear scope mount
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need help finding the correct Weaver type rear mount for an FN Mauser. The Weaver listing calls for a number 45 rear mount but the spread of the holes is to narrow. The #45 is close to .500 and the FN spacing is around .860.
Bryan

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bryan, thats a strange one you've got there, I can't find any refs to any mauser type actions with the .860 spacing & there are no mounts in my chart with that spacing & the same height as a #45, ie .396". The best I can come up with will involve some shimming & the options are a #20A front & a #75 rear with a 0.01" (10thou) shim under the front mount or a #35 front with a #75 rear & a 0.01" shim under the rear mount. I'm assuming of course that the relative height of your receiver ring & rear bridge are as for standard mauser which seems to be 0.174" difference. This is the link to the Weaver base chart on the Brownells website, its a handy one
Steve

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
Thank you for the help.
Bryan

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
What I do with those is to buy a Leupold one piece base. These have only one hole in the rear. I drill the second hole to match the hole in the rear bridge. Then I cut the middle of the base out making a set on two piece bases.
Hope this helps.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are correct ... the spacing is 0.860". I believe I remember that someone said Warne might have a rear mount with the correct hole spacing.

I just made my own custom mounts.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi, I had the same problem, i ordered a set of bases from Buehler. They were marked Higgins 50 7/8inch spacing. If I recall they cost $53 in 1988. The modified Leupold seems to be the best solution.

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys. I called Warne and they didn't have anything they gave me a number for Weaver. I called Weaver and the best they could do was to use a #47 rear mount with the .860 hole spacing and use a .047 shim to get the proper height. I hunted with the rifle last year with a #45 rear mount that I could only get one screw in it. I had no problems but was very careful not to bump the scope. I bought a second #45 mount and will machine them at work to get the proper hole spacing when they are joined together. Bryan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bryan, I'm sure that your solution will do the job. It occurred to me the other day that years ago when I wanted to get more eye relief for a Weaver 2-7 scope I had on a 308 Norma built on a MkX action, I got a length of #45 profile scope mount base blank from Brownells. I see on Brownells site that it appears to be out of stock, B-Squre no longer do it but a bit of asking around might scare a piece up, you'd only need an 1 1/4" after all. If I wasn't so far away & if I could find mine...... Smiler
Steve.

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
I ordered a #401 Weaver mount last night it is much more than long enough and the correct high and diameter. Thank you for your help.
Bryan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was given information about the JC Higgins Mauser actioned rifle by my GS.From 1946 to 1962 FN Receivers were imported into the USA and barreled by Colt,High Standard ,Herters,etc & stocked by Bishop or Fajen in Warsaw,MO. My GS told me they were strong & smooth but when he acquired one he'd remove the barrel & stock & changed the trigger to Timney then had Douglas Rockwell the receiver(they were all 23 strong enough for magnum loads) & install an airgaged barrel in the receiver & ordered a high grade Am Walnut stock from Fajen,he'd blue the rifle,finish the stock , bed it with bisonite & install the barreled receiver in the stock ,used Redfield blued steel bases & rings adding a Leupold scope : price tag in the late 70's & 80's was somewhere over $2000.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bryan, how the hell did you dig that up? I can't find any specs on it but its sure a handy one to know. Are the holes the right spacing or will you have to drill at least one other one?
All the best,
Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
This would explain why I have 3 holes in the rear bridge of one of my FNs Mad

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I solved my rear mount problem for my FN Mauser.
I checked out Weavers chart and found that a #82 base was the correct height and radius and it is also 6 inches long. I drilled the two .140 holes .860 apart and used an 82 degree countersink that matches the shoulder on the screws. The overall length was 1.220 after I screwed it to my rifle the bolt would not close because the bolt handle hit the edge of the mount. A little work with a sharp file and I was in business. The #82 mount are for a New England Handi rifle which I have three of I was going to use the mount off one of them but the ones they supply with their guns are not as high as the Weaver. There was not a lot of difference but I wanted to avoid trouble and didn't want to use shims. I know that not everyone has access to a machine shop as I do but I hope this may be a help to someone.
Bryan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just went through this on my wifes 270.
Had my local GS order the Leupold bases with QT rings and redrill the action for the new base.
I made the mistake of trading off a set of Warnes that i picked up from Greg when they were stil located in Clackamas as i didn't think i would ever need them.
Z

Posts: 95 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Look here: http://www.talleyrings.com/rings.php

Scroll down to "Mauser", see item #252730

I bought two sets, and they fit perfectly. I would much rather go this route than drill the third hole. This is a very satisfactory solution, at least to me it was.

This is an odd hole spacing, and as far as I know it was only done on the FN actions barreled and sold by Higgins. I can't remember if was the Mod 50 or 51, but one or the other.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Tally makes the right base as does S&K. I just make em out of weaver blank stock. Cut the proper radius & height, drill the holes & counter sink, cut to length, mount on rear bridge.

Three viable options.

I have FN made JC Higgins receivers and two have the oddball .860" hole spacing and one is "normal" (.500").

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote