New
Find
Notify
Tools

how cheap can i go?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i'm about to acquire a .308 do-it-all rifle.
will be used mostly as a walking varminter out 300m and bigger stuff at closer ranges.

the way i see it, 75% of the time i want a 4,5-14x, and the rest of the time a 1,5-6x.
so a 3-9x should fall nicely in between.

but how cheap can i go and still get a reasonable rugged scope with proper optical qualities?

would a nikon buckmaster do?

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can go really cheap, if you can use a fixed power scope. Almost anyone's fixed power scope is pretty dependable. The problem arises when a manufacturer tries to build a cheap scope with the much more complicated variable power system. Cheap parts mean that the power cam may not be concentric, resulting in varying your point of impact with your magnification; also, maintaining focus is a problem with cheap variables, as is moisture sealing.

I have no idea about the Buckmasters line in regard to these issues. I understand that Asian scopes may be somewhat less expensive in Europe than American-made scopes, which may point you toward the East. However, in the American market a Leupold VX-I (or possibly even the relatively new Redfield made by Leupold) represents a low-cost, high-value instrument that will be dependable.

3-9X, regardless of which make you pick, is an excellent compromise for your intended usage.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would suggest you decide what price you're willing to pay and then select several different makes of scope that fall within that price range.

As best you can, get your hands on each of the scopes and see which you like best. Which gives you the most features you want, which has a reticle you prefer, even what looks best on your rifle (if that sort of thing matters to you).

Best of luck.

that which doesn't kill me is only postponing the inevitable...

Posts: 24 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I am far too poor to buy anything but the absolute best I can. Replacing anything that is substandard gets very expensive over a lifetime of use. Start looking at Leupold's and the go up from there.

JMHO

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
A general rule of thumb has been to spend close to as much on the scope/rings/mount as you do on the rifle. I've found this to insure pretty reliable set-ups. If money is a problem, I suggest buying a used Leupold scope as their lifetime guarantee applies to any owner. You can send it in for a complete service/update for the cost of shipping.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some years back I bought a good second hand Schmidt and Bender scope. It is now worth more than I paid for it. You don't get much less expensive than a scope that costs nothing and in the mean time delivers absolute top notch quality.

So, my advice is to buy top quality Euro glass from people known to make the best. Don't dismiss second hand and enjoy owning the best tool for the job secure in the knowledge that if you do need to sell it again then it will not have cost you much money at all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Manufacturing technology has lessen the gap between the higher-end scopes and the lower-end (within reason) models. On expensive scopes, not only are you getting top glass, but the repeatability of the scope settings. This allows a long-distance shooter to move let's say 25 clicks into the wind, and know how much that will move his point of aim at that distance. If you buy a less-expensive scope, these adjustments are not nearly as precise. But if you buy an inexpensive scope, get it adjusted properly to hit where you want, and then LEAVE IT ALONE, you should be OK.

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tendrams got it right. You can easily spend more on cheap junk than buying something a little better to start with.

Posts: 3810 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little more direct answer - about $200 gets you a decent scope with a decent warranty, Burris FF2, Nikon, Weaver grand slam, Bushnell 3200, used Leupolds, Zeiss and others might be in that price range as well. I'd ask Doug at Cameraland about the best bang for the buck - they have excellent service. I might try the new Minox from them for $289 or my favorite the Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 for less than $400. Excellent optics are a good investment and you can usually sell them for about what you paid but cashflow can be an issue too. Do you not shoot a rifle for 2 years while you save or turn the 308 into a deer/pig/coyote killing machine in a day?

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Hi Steffen: You should as the question the opposite way: How much optics could I afford...!

The optics on a rifle is more the limiting factor for sucessful hunting then most rifles themselfes - so buy the best optic You could afford for your task! Especially as you want to shoot 300m! Eeker

The cheapest stuff I would go with would be a Leupold, but personaly I wait a bit longer, save more money and gone happy with my Swarovski´s so far - never regreted a single penny for them and of course: the next scope will be a Swarovksi again as well...

Klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a less expensive product, the Nikon Prostaff is excellent. I'm not sure the Buckmaster is worth the extra price. But that's my subjective opinion. The Pentax Gameseekers are pretty good for the money too. I wouldn't go less than that for a rifle I was even remotely serious about hunting with. Though my .22s mostly wear Tascos.

On the other hand, my go to .30-06 wears a Swarovski. If this is your primary or go to rifle, spend some more money. Moving up to a Nikon Monarch or Zeiss Conquest is a quantum leap in scopes. Look around for used. A well-maintained Monarch can be had for a good price.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I just tried the new Redfield 3-9. For under $200 it seems fine. Assembled here in the US, too.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
I am far too poor to buy anything but the absolute best I can. Replacing anything that is substandard gets very expensive over a lifetime of use. Start looking at Leupold's and the go up from there.

JMHO

My thoughts exactly. Get a Leupold scope with click adustments. If you want to keep your gun a little lighter and a little more compact take a look at the Leupold 2.5 to 8.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a Savage rifle with a synthetic stock. You won't spend much, but it will be very accurate, if a little homely (the looks grow on you when it hits what it's shooting at). Take the money you save and buy good glass. Agree with others here, Leupold, might want to check Burris. You can spend a lot more, but a Savage/Leupold or Burris combination would be hard to beat for the money.

Posts: 10132 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
If you can afford it, try this Burris.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewP...productNumber=882702

If you dont want too pay much try this.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewP...productNumber=434618

Now, something in between.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewP...productNumber=511719

Oh yeah, the Buckmaster would work just fine, too.

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote