THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Good Are Weaver Grand Slam Scopes ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Am tossing up between a Weaver Grand slam 3-10 and a leupold 2.5-8 VX111 (tried and true) just wondering are theses scopes any good or should I stick with what I know and love

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Grand Slam is an excellent scope and early ones compare optically favorably with the Leupold VX 3's ; however, Weaver has changed hands and I don't know about their current quality or warranty.

In the opinion of many the best scope in the world is a Leupold that has been returned from factory repair! They really stand behind their product, but they will have or develop problems holding zero.

You are talking about a considerable difference in price between the GS and VX3. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I have the Weaver 3.5-10 and the 2.5-8 and like both equally. It boils down to how big of a scope you want. If I had the choice and 8 X is enough power I'd go with the Leupy. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
From what I've read on various forums on the NET the scopes are fine, however their parent companies customer service really vacuums.

Go to any hunting or shooting forum click on the Optics Section and see for yourself.

It's a crapshoot.

Bill

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Folks,

I will stick with leupold..............the scope is for a Montana 84m in .308............as it's a lite weigh trifle I am also now tossing up b/w 2.5-8 or the 3-9x33 ultra lite leupold.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
I have a Weaver GS and several VX3s. IMO, the GS is as good and maybe better optics than the VX3.

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
I would say the GS is optically a bit better than the Leupold you mention. I haven't needed any service, but that is worth considering, and recent reports on Weaver aren't good.

Nikon is about as good as a GS, and Elite 4200 are only the smallest margin behind. Might be worth considering.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have quite a few Leupolds and just one Weaver GS (a 6.5-20, if memory serves). Compared to the Leupolds, the GS had excellent optics and its vindage and elevation adjustments seemed to work very accurately. I was not happy with its focus ability, though. Although the fast-focus (similar to what Europeans scopes use) mechanism was a lot easier to adjust than the somewhat laborious mechanism found on the Leupold, the GS scope did not seem to have sufficient adjustment range to allow me to focus at any distance. I don't know if this was just a problem with this particular scope, with my eyes or what.

If I was looking for a hunting scope, and I had the $$$ to buy a Leupold, that is what I would go with any day, though. And this in spite of the many advantages of the GS. For hunting, you need absolute reliability, and Leupold has offered that attribute for years.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Weaver Grand Slams are excellent scopes...

however, since Meade now owns Weavers name.. based on their customer service experiences personally...

unless you have a lot of time and patience and don't mind getting ignored and your chain pulled.. then you might as well consider them a throw away product...

Leupold is the gold standard for customer service on scopes in this country...

Meade, is the used toilet paper standard....

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am truely sorry to here that about Weaver. Back about 6 or 8 tears ago I emailed Weaver and asked why should I buy their scope insted of others and did thay stand behind their product as well as Leupold? less than 48hrs lator no less than the president incharge of CS emailed me back with the answers to my questions.

I went out and bought a GS in 4.5-15x40mm. That scope has wothstood 750+ 7mmSTW rounds, 125+ 10ML-II smokeless rounds that 95% were equal to a .375 H&H recoil. One of the best scopes for the $$$ IMHO. Guess I will have to look else where now Frowner