New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spotting Scope for 300yds?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Time to get going at the range. I need a recommendation for a spotting scope for looking at 300 yd targets (.25 caliber and up). I was thinking of a cheapy scope, but have read some dicouraging reviews online for most models.
I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for this purchase, as I mostly shoot at 100yds, and occassionaly at 300 MAX.
This scope won't be used in the field, only at the range. I do have a fixed 20X which doesn't get the job done.
Thanks for your help.

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I just got a Burris Signature spotter as a gift and still have a Burris Landmark that I won't be needing now. If your interested PM me. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
Be advised Jarhead does one of the most bothersome things on his web page. You get loud, cheesy music.

I don't know how good the Konus is. But he is claming near parity with a 900 dollar Kowa. Sounds nice, so nice I doubt it. It still might be a bargain for the money.

I would like to hear from someone who has used the Konus and a Kowa or other high quality spotter.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John Philip Sousa's march Semper Fidelis is cheesey music???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember reading an impartial review of the Konus and it wasn't too bad.
I own a 77mm Kowa as well as its smaller brother, and like most things in life, you get what you pay for..

Chris NZ

Posts: 26 | Location: Hawkes Bay, New Zealand | Registered: 05 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Konus from www.jarheadtop.com and it's not in the class of a $900.00 scope in my opinion. When I read his comparison, I had high expectations, but was disappointed. You get what you pay for and it barely meets my needs. You can see 500 yards nicely, but if you want to see bullet holes, 300 yards is pushing its limit. It's a good scope for the money, but that is it. He told me that I could return it if not satisfied.

I would go to the range and see what others are using and ask if you can look through theirs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check with the guys at Cameraland.
It is my understanding that the Pentax is the best combination of resolution, price and warranty.

I know everyone wants a cheap spotter but regardless of what you take to the range your spotter goes on every trip and sees every bullet hole.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know everyone wants a cheap spotter but regardless of what you take to the range your spotter goes on every trip and sees every bullet hole.

Darn good point.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
The Eagle Optics Denali 15-45x60mm for $200 would work well.

The Vortex Impact RA 25-75x is pretty amazing at $200 as well.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Pentax 65ED...and you can get REALLY good eyepieces for it. 28x 46x etc. Really GOOD FOV.

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote