THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What scope should I get for a 300 win mag.
 Login/Join

posted
I just purchased a new Tika M65 300 win mag. I am trying to decide what scope and mounts I should use for this rifle. I am planning on using this rifle for elk hunting, but may use it to hunt deer as well. My average shots are 100-350 yards. I am thinking about a Zeiss Conquest, but not sure. Any recomendations

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zeiss 3x9 is perfect.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Since you are limited and can't get Talley bases then the Weaver Grand Slam bases and Warne rings should be good on your flat top receiver.

The 3x9x40 Zeiss Conquest is the best bang for the buck bar none.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
The 3x9x40 Zeiss Conquest is the best bang for the buck bar none.

Hard to go wrong with a Zeiss Conquest! CameralandNY often has some terrific prices...

http://www.cameralandny.com/op...zeiss.pl?page=521460

I have bought a ton of their "demo" optics. To all intents and purposes these are NIB, and I have experienced zero problems.

I also like Weaver-type bases and rings - although my main reason is that it allows me to use the Burris Signature Zee rings. The synthetic inserts take a lot of the hassle out of mounting scopes and will leave practially no ring-marks in case you want to remount on a different rifle.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your helpful comments and suggestions. I will definetely check out cameraland.com to see what kind of deal I can get on a conquest.

Thanks

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
If you are not planning on anything closer than 100 yds , particularly running game, a 3to 9 ,a 2 to 12 or a 4 to 14 should be fine.
All depends on price,lots of good optics available now including the Conquest.

Most of my stalking/hunting rifles wear 1 to 4 or more commonly 1.5 to 6 optics.

With my more speacilized " long range" rifles wearing the higher power variables.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest is a GREAT scope! I also like the 1.8-5.5x38 Conquest as well. Between the two I have six of them.

Eight of my rifles are set up to have the same Leupold QRW mounts on exactly the same centers so that scopes can be moved around without loosening the rings. Will get three others done that way over time. Is really VERY handy!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The scopes I looked at recently were the Sightron SII Big Sky 3-9x42 in satin black with a plex reticle, the Swarovski AV 3-10x42 matte finish w/ plex reticle, and the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 MC ZPLX in matte black finish and the Z-plex reticle.

Looking at them together I wasn't able to see much difference in clarity and crispness, though neither were as good as the Swarovski AV that was also there. The controls on the Sightron I saw were tight, but moved fluidly with positive clicks on the turret adjusments. The controls on the others were easier to move and were also fluid with discernable clicks. The Zeiss was the longest and heaviest with the Sightron intermediate and the Swaro the lightest and most compact.

Each of the scopes had multicoated optics, were fogproof/waterproof, had 1/4" MOA click adjustments, and finger focus eyepieces.

The Zeiss had a slight edge over the others in eye relief, but of course was longer and heavier. I prefer a locking focus on the eyepiece but none of these scopes had that feature. The Swaro had by far the best optics, but at twice the price of the others.

So which did I get? None of them actually. I happened onto a used Kahles for a bit more than either the Sightron or the Zeiss and bought it instead. If I had to pick beween the Zeiss and the Sightron? I know that the Conquest is rated highly as a good scope for the money, but for a little less money I would probably go with the Sightron Big Sky.

"No game is dangerous unless a man is close up"
Teddy Roosevelt 1885.

Posts: 211 | Location: SEAK USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone of the Leupold VX-3 that suits your taste

One of Us
posted Hide Post
See if Doug at Camera Land has any Zeiss Conquest 2.5x8 scopes. I like them as well as the 3x9 and there are super deal available on them. I think I paid a little over $300 for my last one.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer Fud:

Leupold VX III in 3 - 9x 40mm is the "standard production" scope. 3x allows you some field of view. 9x lets you see what you're shooting at from a distance. 9x for elk/deer out to even 500 yds will be easy to spot. The 40mm glass is the "right size" / weight. The price point on the 3 - 9x 40mm is optimal because this is their most popular scope and so they produce a lot of them, which keeps the price down.

There are some reticle options. I have my preferences (light duplex), but your mileage may vary.

Best of all, Leupold warrant is bullet-proof. Lifetime, unconditional, and transferable. You don't need a "receipt" or "registration." If the scope says "Leupold" it's warranted.

Leupold customer service is excellent. Yeah, I'm biased. I have four.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with the Zeiss 3-9 crowd. Great bang for the buck... thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Zeiss 3-9 on a 7 Mag for Elk hunting and think it is the best bang for the buck out there. Doug at Cameraland is a superb source for optics - I check there first.

I might think about the Conquest 4.5-14 but realistically if you aren't planning to shoot over 4-500 yards there is a bigger advatage on the low end for the times you are in the woods or get lucky and spot them quite close or moving.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to shoot at big game with 2X, but anything from 1X to 2.5X will do.

I like to sight in rifle at the range with 40X, but anything from 16X to 60X will do.

I have hunting with a 300Win Mag with 3x9, and it stayed on 3X the whole time.

I have hunted with 2x7 and it stayed on 2X the whole time.

I have hunted with 1.75x6 and it stayed on 1.75X, except for that one time shooting at antelope when they were way out of range anyway.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I use two .300 Win Mags :

Blaser R93 + Swarovski 2,5-10x42

Rem 700 Sendero + Leupold Vari-X III 3,5-10x50.

Both have served me well from woods to mountain hunting.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andre Mertens:

Andre',

Good looking rifles! thumb

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andre,
What is that in the background?
European beech?

Cool

Just joking.
We don't see many Blasers at the gun show here in the USA.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I have no idea, it's the floor in my office. You may be right though as some floorboards show the same circular figures as my beech stocked K31 Cool

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wookie316
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer Fud:

clap I agree, I like my Luepold's

Posts: 138 | Location: Border City (On the poor side)}:-( | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
quote:
Originally posted by Andre Mertens:

Andre',

Good looking rifles! thumb

Don
Wuold it be possible for some kind caring person to wipe off the dribbles of saliva from these pretty pictures please? Big Grin

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote