Find
Notify
Tools

Leica Binoculars
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted
I purchased a new pair of Leica 10 by 32 UltraVid Binoculars. When I returned home the lens cap for the eye piece was missing. I was not very happy. I called the store I bought them from and got a little bit of a run around. I then called Leica. The only question they asked me was what was my address. They did not ask for a sales receipt or serial number. Nothing. They put them in the mail that day. I know alot of times we complain about bad service however I was really pleased with the way they handled this problem. BTW they are the best binoculars I have ever owned.

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Leica trinovids, but some years later I bought the Swarovski EL 10x42 and never looked back, gave the wife the Leicas. You won't go wrong with the new Ultravids they are nice too.

the place you bought them , shouldn't have given you the run around. thats bad cust. service. I wouldn't go back there ever after that, especially spending that much coin on those optics.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I have owned two sets of trinovids (8x40s & 8x30s)and at present waiting for a set of Ultravids in 8x30.Great Binos thumb

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love my Leica 10x40 Ultravids.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been eyeing a pair of 8x32 Ultravids for years now. They have been too much $$$ for me until now, but with the new "HD" version (I think it is?), the regular Ultravids seem to have come down in price. I might just give in to temptation one of these days... Smiler

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mho:

I don't think they're making "regular" ultravids anymore. I believe they all have the new coating which is why the nearly current, non-new coating models can be found on sale. I bought two of them (10x42 and 12x50)from cameraland at somewhere between $800 and $1000 off of new model prices which was a great bargain, they're top quality glass. Point of this is, if you want to buy new, then you need to get froggy about it if you want a bargain price, they won't be around long, if they're even still available in the size you want.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah, good point. I had not thought of the urgency issue... Darn, broke again... Roll Eyes

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I paid 999.00 plus tax for the the 10 by 32 Ultravids I bought from a local gun store. They had I think 3 pairs left. I am sure they are all gone now.

The same store has Weatherby Brand .460 ammo for $70.00 per box right now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
10x42 Geovids here. I am sold for life. These go, I'll get another pair. Best glass for me.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I own a pair of the Leica Ultravid 10 X 25 binoculars, you know, the little ones. They are the best glass in that size and weight I have ever looked through. Exactly what I wanted, exactly what I need. I just stick 'em in my breast pocket and don't even feel the weight. Nothing hanging on my shoulders or swinging wildly around me as I bound through the bush.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
bound through the bush

Well, good on you, my rabbit days are long over.....I think the operative word in my case would be more like...."plow". clap

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:
bound through the bush

Well, good on you, my rabbit days are long over.....I think the operative word in my case would be more like...."plow". clap

I thought it sounded better than "drag my worthless carcass through the thorns". Although the latter would be a more accurate description of what the idle observer might perceive.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
That's some great customer service. There's no doubt the Leicas are among THE elite in optics, especially binoculars. What really blows my mind is when I was at the local Cabela's over the weekend, there were at least 5 pair of various Ultravids in the "Bargain Cave" that had been returned for one reason or another, many of them still in the plastic. Why the heck would someone return optics of that caliber? Too good for them? Big Grin

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hello my name is joe,(New Member) i am an outfitter here in N.M. i get hunters all the time that buy all new gear once the hunt is over they sale everything i have pick up alot of nice (like new ) stuff at a bargain.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had fantastic service from Leica US.
Had a pair of 10x42 Geovids sent out here by a mate, and managed to lose an ocular sleeve while out hunting- forced them down the front of my hunting jacket too violently when in a hurry..

Anyway, Leica sent some repl'ts at no charge, no questions asked.

Chris, New Zealand

Posts: 26 | Location: Hawkes Bay, New Zealand | Registered: 05 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Just received a new set of 8X30 Ultravids from www.cameralandny.com
So far so good. Smiler

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a pair of 15x56 Geovids and at the other end of the spectrum, the 10x25 Ultravids, that Wink uses.

They are fantastic glass.........just wish they would do a Geovid on the 32mm objective and that would be perfect Smiler

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seriously thinking about a set of the 10x25 Ultravids, to replace the 8x30 Steiners that the UN donated to the cause.
Blair, Wink, are they as good as the advertising hype says?

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sambar 9.3:
Seriously thinking about a set of the 10x25 Ultravids, to replace the 8x30 Steiners that the UN donated to the cause.

They are the best compact binoculars I have looked through and are as good as most makers larger size binoculars. Since they only have a 25mm objective lens they aren't as bright as bigger glass would be of course, but they are fine for daylight use, and better than cheap binoculars even for nighttime use. I wear eyeglasses and get full picture with the retractable eyepieces. Yeah, I like 'em. I take them to sporting events, when hiking, at the beach and even use them for spotting at the gun club. I mean, they fit in my breast pocket! It's the same adage for handguns, if you don't have it with you its worthless.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink, that's a question I had 'eyeglasses and a 15 mm eye relief' All my older Binoculars have a 20 mm .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fortunately, I'm able to use binox with my glasses off. So, eye relief is a non-problem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
im waiting for the H.D s to come out before i damage the credit card 10x32s and 10x 50s
Daniel

Posts: 1488 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
im waiting for the H.D s to come out before i damage the credit card 10x32s and 10x 50s
Daniel

I don't know if the difference is worth the price(approx $500 more than standard Ultravids), mate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sambar 9.3:

They sure are Dave thumb

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
Daniel

We have them already as HD edition available in my shop... That´s all we could get from Leica...

fishing

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Just returned from a hunt where I used the Leica Ultravid 8x32 in a dark Pine forest at last light.
I couldn't imagine those old Zeiss classic 8x56s (that are so popular in Europe for twilight hunting ) would gather any more light than these new compacts. thumb