Find
Notify
Tools

Dropped my binocs!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted
The other day as I exited the truck to open a gate, my binocular harness snagged on something on me and tried following me out of the truck. They ended up falling to the ground ocular lens down and I ended up with a chip in the lens the size of a pinhead. Do I really need to worry about this? They are still good to look through and you can't tell the chip is their when looking through them. Is it possible that the lens might crack in the future or some other problems might arise?

Also do you think Burris would be willing to fix them? They are Signaure Selects and I would hope their warranty coverage would be better on these than their other products.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The chip may allow something under the coating and cause it to "bloom" (lift slightly,) or peel over a period of years.

The impact may also have disturbed the collimation (alignment of the two optical paths.)

For best durability, the binoculars should be serviced, but if the view appears no different I wouldn't ge too excited about it.

It's worth contacting Burris, though. Please post their answer if you do.

Posts: 82 | Location: SW FL | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I would finish the season with them and then send them in, I've heard that Burris has great customer service but I don't own any of their stuff so I don't know for sure.
As said before let us know how they perform on their warranty.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The chip on the lens is likely less of a problem than collimation. If the two barrels are misaligned, then your splitting headache will soon tell you.

Curiously, optical collimation seems to be the weakest and least understood link in binocular performance. I'd much rather look through two properly aligned but optically marginal tubes than two sparklingly brilliant and clear tubes that are looking two different places! That's why I always look for IF binoculars -- their simpler, sturdier frame makes them easier to get properly collimated and keep that way than the more delicate and complicated frame of a center focus instrument.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote