New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scopes and cataracts...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This may be a strange post but it might just help someone. About 10 or 12 years ago I began noticing that the crosshairs on my scopes were becoming fussy almost like two sets but with a very little offset between them. Try as I might I couldn't adjustment them to real pinpoint "sharpness". However, my old El Paso Weaver K3 could be for some unknown reason. This was on my favorite shooting 22 so all was well or at least "OK". I shot this combination often and simply didn't give it the proper thought and was successful with it for a couple more years. Then when I was diagnosed with cataracts in both eyes and underwent surgery. Low and behold crosshairs were sharp again! About 6 years ago a shooting buddy was over and shot my 22 with the K3 scope. He commented on how clear this scope was and wanted to buy it. As I didn't want to sell mine he found a near-new one at the Denver show and bought an identical K3 ($75 if I remember correctly). He was thrilled with the clarity. Later he also had cataract surgery and found that other scopes were now "focusable". Moving forward to last week, another shooter was over who complained about scope sharpness, well by now I thought I knew the problem... handing him my 22 with the Weaver K3 I suggested he try focusing it and it worked! He told me his eye doctor had just found the presence of a cataract in this right eye but thought he could easily wait a year or more before fixing. So he's planning on picking up an old El Paso Weaver as well for the interim. I have no idea why these old Weavers might work with the start of cataracts but thought someone could possibly benefit. Good shooting, Ed

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 337 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eddie, I started getting cataracts several years ago and had the problem of scopes not having clarity especially at high magnifications. At the time I just thought I had inferior scopes but my scopes were all fixed with eye surgeries last summer. I would recommend anyone afflicted with cataracts to get the surgery ASAP.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1190 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I applaud these posts. Look after your health first, eye and otherwise. All the widgets in the world are nothing in comparison.

Back in a few days, I'm going bush. Book buyers, please PM me anyway - you'll get first attention when I return.
- SBM

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was told to wait on surgery some years ago but after hearing about these success stories, I am headed back to the eye doctor. I have been seeing the off set cross hairs for a while... very frustrating. I would like to know did they put in a new lens or just remove the cataracts?

Posts: 208 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cataract surgery is simple now, although it is probably miraculous for it's conception. They measure yours eyes with electronic machines, I guess down to an improbable fraction, then when you go in for surgery they make a very tine hole in your eyeball and they use a laser to break up the old crystallized lens and suck it out in powder. Then they have an artificial lens rolled up like a newspaper and they slip it through the hole and carefully unfold it and position it as well as possible to correct any astigmatism. The actual surgery takes about 15 min and is entirely painless. They can install what they refer to as a Toric (spelling?) lens that will correct astigmatism if it is bad enough. I did not need these toric lenses. The only negative from the surgery is if you didn't need correcteve lens to read with before surgery you absolutely will require them afterward. Hope this makes sense and enlightens a little.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1190 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Just had my right then my left eye done in the past three weeks. It will be another fortnight or so before my vision fully stabilizes, but I am finding scopes nice and crisp now.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16531 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I probably know too little to comment too much, but with the lens replacements that generally accompanies this I'd like to provide a bit of input from the experience of a close friend.

You can choose a lens that will provide certain vision for you; like choosing spectacles to see close or far.

You need to consider how you shoot what... So do you need ot focus on fixed sights, or do you want to and is this rifle or handgun. Or, do you shoot shotgun and what do you prefer with regard to your vision.

My buddy got the close lens / far lens wrong and is finding it frustrating. You can do different lenses in each eye if you are doing both (generally a few weeks apart).

Bear in mind that you can adjust a scope (I'm not sure by enough) but for open sights you need to use your focus and would want it off the shoulder you are accustomed to, so choose the appropriate lens for the correct eye, for example for open sights out of the strong side shoulder if you will need that.

Not my most eloquent presentation of what I'm trying to communicate, but I'm sure you get it!

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote