New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bushnell Elite vs Legend Ultra Spotters
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for spotting scopes: comparing the Bushnell Elite 20x60x80mm and the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 20x60x80mm - the specs are very similar. I looked through them at the Bushnell store but only briefly. Given the vast price difference, (Elite higher of course) can I get some advice - for spotting 6mms and 308s on a static range to 300yd, would the Elite be that much better?

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no answer here other than i've never looked through a bushnell spotter i liked. whatever you do make sure that you can take it outside and look through it. a brick building at 2-300 yds is excellent. study the mortar joints in the wall for a few minutes. see how clearly you can see them and where or not after a few minutes your eyes start going buggy

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Konus 20x60x80. I paid about $250 for it. I could easily see 308 size bullets at 300 yds. I don't know about 6mm bullets, but I think it would work for them too. I would not buy anything from Bushnell.

I would check the return policy of any product you buy or as butchloc said, take it outside and try it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will do that. Thanks.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The specification youare looking for is resplution in in seconds of arc. Many manufacturers will not publish that.
There is a common military test you can use to compare the scopes.
What you want is the US 1951 resolution test target. You can set this up and compare two spotters.
I have tested a 1990s 22X B&L Elite against a 1960s Swift Model 841 Telemaster 15-60 Zoom scope. The fixed BL was clearly better but at 100 yards the Swift was more useful. However neither scope will hold a candle to the Kowa 77MM body with the 25XLER Lens. The Kowa is used by many, many competitive shooters.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote