New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swaro EL 10 x 42 or EL 10-42RF
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I keep going back and forth between some straight binoculars or bino/rangefinders.

Money isn't an issue, I'm using accumulated credit card points.

Most of my hunting is TX, but I've made several trips to Africa, New Zealand, Ireland etc for hunts. Probably plan a spain ibex, another trip or two to africa, pronghorn somewhere, elk and some other critters before I'm in the ground and covered over. Truth be told, I've never had to take a shot longer than 450yds and not sure I would anyway.

How reliable are the bino rangefinders and do they give up anything optically to accomodate the rangefinder function? As far as legacy, are they something that could be repaired 10 years from now or are they then obsolete. Seems like the resale of a non-functioning rangefinder would be next to worthless.

I have a Leupy rangefinder, but it looks like it's developed a display problem. Kind of figure that bino rangefinders share the same risk at some point. At least with a $400 rangefinder failing after a few years, you don't cringe that bad when you have to toss it and buy a new one.

Posts: 504 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ones with built in rangefinder work well and you are losing very minimal optical quality to the laser going through the glass. Please feel free to give us a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss options

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3667 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have them separate, Leica RF and Swarovski binocs.
Whether they are better combined into one unit or separate will be an ongoing debate. I have not tried them combined.
I will say that tossing a RF after four years is BS. My Leica is I believe going on 10 years and gets a lot of use. So maybe it’s the quality of RF that you are buying.
Good luck with your decision.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2640 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using leica geovids for years and don't plan on changing, I like having the combo unit, have had no issues with them and the optics are right on the heels of my swaro SV EL's.

Posts: 549 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are not familiar with the terrain, a range finder can be helpful. Ditto if you shooting species that you are not used to and in particular their size.

However, I like to range find before I go on a trip and use a map, google earth etc to get to know the lie of the land. I will usually take a map with me and mark off some key distances.

When it comes to taking the shot, if looks to far it is. Get closer. Ten days ago I was on new ground with a friend. We spotted some deer that were 2 km away. We closed the distance an eventually got a shot at sub 100 yards. Friend had a pair of Leica 10x42 RF. At one point at 300m we could have taken a shot - but it was windy and whats the fun in taking a 300m shot.

My view on range finding Bins is that they are heavier than normal binoculars, and are unnecessary weight and expense. And the electronics will go wrong. If you need a range finder, use the reticle on your scope - look at the subtension in the book of words, and also know how long a typical male and female of the species you are hunting is.

And if you are hunting with a guide - he will no doubt have a rangefinder with him.

Posts: 984 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before I sold my 10 x 42 Swarovski EL Sworovision Binoculars I owned them and the Swarovski Rangefinder at the same time. I have never owned the Swarovski 10 x 42 RF binoculars so I cannot compare.

But I can tell you with confidence that if you decide to go with the Binocular and separate Rangefinder you will be extremely happy with the newer Sworovski EL Binocs and the Sworovski Rangefinder. Both are of the highest quality.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I’ve looked through both side by side and can’t see a difference optically.

My gripe with the EL Range is that it will not range below 33 yards and measures in meters with internal software to convert to yards.

If they could range down to 10 yards and be primary programmed in yards, I’d own a set. Of course those features are only vital if you bow hunt.

Swarovski is tops with warranty work so I wouldn’t worry too much about the range function failing.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1219 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I own two of the Leica RF binos (one of the older models and one of the newer models), as well as one of the Swarovski RF binos. All are 10X42s. I love them, and would never go back to a separate bino and a separate rangefinder. Having the two combined is the only way to go. I have hunted Africa, Mexico, Alaska and the Western United States with them, and they have proven invaluable when a long shot is needed, as they calculate distance, angle(up/down), etc. and give you the true distance reading to the target, which is very critical when you're on to a trophy out a long ways. Big Grin By the way, I do have Swaro binos in 10X42 WITHOUT the RF, and they are nice, but do not give me the comfort that the RF binos do. Moreover, I combine the RF binos with the Swarovski Z-5 scopes with the ballistic reticles, which allows me to dial up the shot and be on target up to nearly 900 yards. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to keep them separate, as laser technology was changing faster than optics. But then I determined that most of the laser improvement was in adding distance, and I don't shoot that far anyway. I bought one of the Geovids that Doug had on close-out and am very pleased having one unit again.

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote