Steiner
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Worth the money.

Posts: 714 | Location: CT | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Military Marine line are ok. I have a set of 8x30 and they are OK. The 7x50 are way too big and heavy. IF you look you can get some deep discounts. If you need repair services you are hosed.

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks tu2

Posts: 714 | Location: CT | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
no - absolutly not worth the money!

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always hate to say something negative about a particular brand. Somewhere out there will be a member who loves his Steiners, and who would be disappointed at negative comments.

So let's put it like this, I think you can find better optics for the $$$.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MHO, ha ha, My nephew just came back from Afghanistan, when they get back, they can't bring their M4 home, but they can use their night vision goggles, lazer light, acog, binos, and everything else that they have; all the high tech gadgets that I'm not even allowed to purchase without a special license. I was amazed at the level of quality. He had a real small set of steiners, miniturized almost. They were pretty nice for how small they were. I'm going to look what model they were when he's back nx time.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
I always hate to say something negative about a particular brand. Somewhere out there will be a member who loves his Steiners, and who would be disappointed at negative comments.

So let's put it like this, I think you can find better optics for the $$$.

- mike

thanks Mike, that was the diplomatic way...

But I was not amused looking through any of them so far - regardless of the amount of money you spend: if something is disappointing, it´s not worth the money - and then the price was definetly too high, regardless of it´s price

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I have use the Steiner (Predator model) in 12x42 on a red stag hunt and they worked perfect, just the same as the Swaro my hunting partner was carrying.

I really enjoy glassing and I will not use a bad quality product. There were many brands and models at the camp and we compered them in the field during the day and during the night (full moon) and I can hardly imagine how can a normal hunter find the differences between some brands...

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Something more, I find that the main difference you can find after a given quality level is the "size". Is not the same to glass during several minutes with a 12x than with an 10x, the "12" is more tiring for the eyes, and if its windy is much more difficult.

I think a 8,5x42 Swaro must be the best all around option today if you don't hunt the open mountains of La Patagonia, here a 10x or a 12x will work better to judge a far away stag before climbing.

For night hunting a 7x or a 8x are the best option.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on what model and what you use them for - I had a little pair of Safari 8x25's that were a nice truck, stadium, bowhunting or loaner set. Very durable and since I paid less than $75 and they filled the need fine. But certainly not near the best glass available. Traded up to some similar Minox that are much nicer and certainly compacts from the big 3 would be better.

A freind has the 12x40 individual eye focus big horn models (under $300) and he loves them for hunting because of their simplicity.

When comparing their higher end models I've always been less impressed than Pentax, Nikon, Kahles or the other similarly priced competition.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pr of Bighorn 9x40 and for $225 brand new they are a better value than any of the Swaro's. I also have a new pr of 7x42 Leica HD binos that I like...but they were quite expensive so like the Swaro's you pay A LOT for the better optics...but it is really not necessary for most hunting situations. If you have money lying around, ok but if not Steiners will work just fine.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
I have 5 pair of Steiner Predator/Military Marine's in my house and on my deck and porch and Chevy Suburban. Within easy reach wherever I am. I own several pair of the best Leica's which are wonderful. All that being said, the Steiner's are great and for the price, I don't have to worry about them. tu2

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1697 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with DoubleDon. I keep a pair of Steiner's in my truck all the time. Not my favorite pair of binoculars, but adequate, and handy.

Posts: 10122 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own Kahles, Zeiss, Swaro, Leupold, Minox, and Steiner binos.
The Swaro, Kahles, and Zeiss are defintely fine binos and expensive and one of them goes to Africa each time. However, my 8x30 Steiners continue to amaze me. If "for the money" is the test, then they would be my "go to" binos. My son and I have spent 1000s of hours in tree stands, etc. and his favorites are the Steiners. We have hunted side by side and he can see anything with the Steiners as late as I can with the more expensive binos. The Steiners recently developed a problem, after 15 years of hard use, and I sent them back to Burris who now repairs them, they were out of warranty and not worth fixing, so they offered me a new pair of even better 8x30s for a fraction of their cost.

I don't see how you can argue with that.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1927 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I keep my 30 year old Steiner military marine 8x binoculars as handy beaters/loaners (they have never failed). I tend to baby my Zeiss Safari models and would never dream of loaning them out. High dollar glass has its place just like Steiners do. They are functional and reasonably priced in the military marine line.

JMHO

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
I own Kahles, Zeiss, Swaro, Leupold, Minox, and Steiner binos.
The Swaro, Kahles, and Zeiss are defintely fine binos and expensive and one of them goes to Africa each time. However, my 8x30 Steiners continue to amaze me. If "for the money" is the test, then they would be my "go to" binos. My son and I have spent 1000s of hours in tree stands, etc. and his favorites are the Steiners. We have hunted side by side and he can see anything with the Steiners as late as I can with the more expensive binos. The Steiners recently developed a problem, after 15 years of hard use, and I sent them back to Burris who now repairs them, they were out of warranty and not worth fixing, so they offered me a new pair of even better 8x30s for a fraction of their cost.

I don't see how you can argue with that.

Much the same here. I have Swaro and Kahles binos and have used the Steiner Military Marine series a good bit in the past. They aren't top flight glass like the Swaros and Kahles but for the money they aren't bad and you don't have to worry about loaning them out and so forth.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote