THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Side Focus vs AO: Important Buying Criteria?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In making a buying decision for a high power rifle scope does it matter to you whether the scope has a side focus or an adjustable objective in your final analysis? Do you prefer one design over the other?

Thank you.

Buliwyf

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty much a matter of convenience for the most part.

AO scopes move the Objective Lens back and forth while side focus scopes move the reticle back and forth. Same result, different ways of going about achieving it.

The major advantage to side focus is that it is normally easier to do with your eye to the scope. Possible disadvantage, a few more moving parts inside the scope, but with most good scopes now days that is probably not much to worry about.

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So fyj, more than one way to skin a cat eh? Ha Ha.

Thanks

Buliwyf

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess that’s one way to look at it.

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
I much prefer side focus but can't afford it... Maybe one day... Confused

I have it on two scopes and love it. It's certainly easier to manipulate in almost any situation. thumb

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To me, side mounted adjustment of paralax has its advantages when you have to adjust your scope from a shooting position - e.g. prone in a prairie dog town. Disadvantage: the side adjustments I have encountered have been more easily moved away from a particular setting. For a more solid adjustment, albeit one which requires you to look at the rifle from above, the adjustable objective has advantages. I prefer the latter for target type shooting.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Buliwyf,

In the past I bought scopes w/ AO and I currently own 4 scopes that have SFPA. The only reason I purchased the scopes w/ the SFPA was that was an option on the "new" model etc. I never purchased one simply because it had that option but, I must say I do like them better than a AO. Much more user friendly.

Regardless of the PA I find myself setting it on 100 and leaving it on most hunting trips even when I make 300+yd shots.

By the way my favorite hunting scope w/ SF is my Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44SF. Heck of a scope and I personally prefer them to any other sub $1000 scope on the market.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you brought up the Zeiss Conquest Reloader. I am price sensitive and have been looking hard at the Nikon Buckmaster line. I will take a closer look at the Conquest.

Thanks.

B

One of Us
Picture of cheaptrick
posted Hide Post
I like an AO better than a SF due to the fact that I'm a left handed shooter and prefer to correct parallax with my right hand, and leave my shooting hand by the trigger guard.

cheaptrick.....out!!

Posts: 238 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote