THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Who makes the lowest power scope thats quality?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who makes the lowest power scope thats quality?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for a scope for a future hunt that will be very close shooting. It needs to be the lowest power possible and be of good quality.
Thanks for your help.

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
There are tons of high quality red dots. With those, you get what you pay for, some are very high priced.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wildlife Artist:
I'm looking for a scope for a future hunt that will be very close shooting. It needs to be the lowest power possible and be of good quality.
Thanks for your help.

I'm a low power fan too, and bought a Leupold VX-7 in 1.5-6x power range. The image is excellent. I do hear great things about the Swarovski Z-6 in that same power range, but I've never looked through one so I can't cmt.
The image from the VX-7 I have is better than any other scope I compared it to. But, I have not done any comparing to other high end European scopes like Zeiss. It does trump all other Leupolds.

Don

Don

One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Swarovski makes the new Z6 1-6x24 which has a real 1,0 magnifition. Awesome scope! You will love it, but it has its price...

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
NightForce also has a true 1 power scope. The reason the "real" or "true" 1 power is important is that your shooting eye and non-shooting eye are seeing the same magnification of the image. Other 1x scopes might really be 1.2 or 1.3 power.

The swaro and NightForce are going to be very good but spendy

Posts: 1067 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Burris makes a 1x.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Leupold VariX-III 1.5-5 has an awesome field of view - at 1.5 you can see your barrel in the scope - and is clear, rugged and compact.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Meopta also makes a 1.1-4 scope that's great value for the dollar.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
There is a nice test/report in the German hunting magazine DWJ 1/2008 on the low powered scopes and the result says "The far winner is Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24..."

If You compare them by yourself, I guess most people will tell you the same if they would make a neutral testing...

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mt Al:
NightForce also has a true 1 power scope. The reason the "real" or "true" 1 power is important is that your shooting eye and non-shooting eye are seeing the same magnification of the image. Other 1x scopes might really be 1.2 or 1.3 power.

The swaro and NightForce are going to be very good but spendy

What problems do you get if shooting say x2 power scope with both eyes open?

I confess I tried a 1.5-6x42mm, and did not like it at x1.5

I found it very off putting being able to see the barrel so clearly in the scope picture.

Even more off putting was the fact that when looking through the scope, the vertical post of my cross hair, did not appear to "line up" or even run parallel with the barrel as it appeared in the site picture! And the scope had been zero'd on the rifle at 100m and checked at 25m and the groups ect were fine..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote