New
Find
Notify
Tools

Illuminated Scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for an illuminated scope for a future leopard hunt.

I was thinking about the Swarovski Z6i 2-10x50.

Any suggestions??

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Blue Devil:

Any suggestions??

As good as it gets.

If I was ever going to hunt cats again I would only use Swarovski z6.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
While you may need to sacrifice a bee's dick of resolution, I'd look for a scope that does not have the battery compartment standing out on the top of the ocular. Modern scopes with doughnut rubber eyepieces have enough tunnel vision as it is, without more up there, where the leopard might be.

Much as I hate the concept of illuminated scopes, the Leupold VX-R 2-7 fits the obovementioned need, has reasonable field blending and is reasonably affordable. A scope with a bigger objective might gather more light, but the bigger bell increases greatly the chance a knock may affect your zero. Apparently the Leupold batteries are also cheaper than those used by Meopta, for instance, and the VX-R turns off the light if you stop moving the rifle.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That's a terrific scope. But for even less $$, you can pick up the Schmidt & Bender Polar T96. It is THE best low-light hunting scope out there at the moment. It's not perfect -- none of them are -- and I find fault with several characteristics of the Polar line, but when it comes down to having a usable image under the worst of lighting conditions, the Polar sits alone at the top of the heap.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of illuminated scopes. I currently have illuminated scopes from Meopta, Leupold, Kahles, Swarovski and Trijicon. I like them all but by far my favorite for pure limited visibility hunting is the Trijicon Accupower 2.5-10x56. I set it up on a 30-06 for bushpig. I shot a bushpig 65 yards away in a very dark draw and I could see him clear as day and the green reticle made precise shot placement easy. I hope to use it on leopard next year.

Safe shooting...…...LL

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Any suggestions??

I have a number of the Swarovski scopes with the illuminated reticle. I absolutely love them. I also have some Leupolds. While they are also good, I find them more difficult to use.

I have had a crazy idea of late. I have 3 Ten Point cross bows. When one turns the illuminated reticle on, one can actually see the animal pretty clearly. I was shocked the first time I did it. I have toyed with mounting one of these on my 300 Blackout to give it a try on night time hogs. I don't know if it would hold up or not. If it will, it is superior to any other scope that I have for use at night and not by a little bit.

Posts: 12019 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is all I use.

For Leopard (which I am doing in July) I will have a Swarovski Z6i 1.7x10x42 on top of a .300 HH

I love the illuminated scopes and rarely use anything else.

Posts: 10265 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Any suggestions??

Did you mean the Z6i, 2-12x50?

Another alternative is the Z8i 2-16x50. This is the scope that's on my wish list. The magnification range, clarity, and ability to add the BTF turret at a latter date to either the elevation or windage turret (or both) are great features.

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote