New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redfield scope repair
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have 3 3x9 illuminators I bought 15+ years ago. The crosshairs broke in 1 a couple of years ago and yesterday another one would not adjust left and right.Anybody know where I might get these repaired?

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, the Illuminator model was an Asian-produced product that was made either when Meade owned the Redfield name or just prior to their purchasing it. Leupold has just purchased the Redfield name from Meade, but I seriously doubt their supporting the Asian-made products labelled with the Redfield brand. Still, it wouldn't hurt to check with Leupold to see if they might have plans to service prior Redfield-branded scopes.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
At 15+ years old, it should be a Denver Colorado model from way before the whole Meade/Leupold/Asian business. Call Ironsight Inc. their website is www.ironsightinc.com. I just sent a brand new Ultimate Illuminator law enforcement scope in to have the reticle swapped for a mil-dot. They do great work.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody else done any business with ironsight? They want $75 up front per scope to repair. This seems like a fair price, but they are saying 20 to 25 week turn around.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
At 15+ years old, it should be a Denver Colorado model

Depends on how many pluses over 15. The old Redfield of Denver that I grew up with has been out of business a long time. I think the "Illuminators" were an Asian product, but I'm certainly no expert on this line. Wonder what Leupold is saying about customer service now that they own the Redfield name?

quote:
They want $75 up front per scope to repair.

Ask yourself how much the scope would bring if it were in perfect working order. This will give you some sense of whether to spend an initial $75 plus shipping and whatever additional repair charges might be incurred. There are lots of serviceable scopes on the market that can be purchased new for very little more than you might spend on a repair. Which, come to think of it, may explain why scope repair shops are so scarce.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Or you could try here:

http://www.abousainc.com/sub1.htm

I have not had any work done by them but it is another place to try.

Posts: 20 | Location: Littlestown, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These scopes were $300 15 yrs ago. That's why I'm thinking about getting them repaired plus they are very clear. I've killed deer well after sundown with them. I contacted Leupold who said they only bought the Redfield name and will not repair. They recommended some place in FL. I have the name somewhere in an e-mail from them. My problem is I read in a previous post this place in FL sent a scope by to a customer with the same problem it had before it went in. Ironsight wants $70 up front and a 20 to 25 week turn around. This seems like a possible scam to me.
Anyone done any business with ironsight or this place in FL?

posted Hide Post
If you are familiar with Premier Reticles, or know anything of their reputation, this may matter. I called them regarding custom reticles for my Ultimate Illuminator. They recommended Ironsight or T K Lee. Before I found my scope, I looked at a used one that have just come back from being serviced by ABO in FL, the objective adjustment would not adjust through its full range. Anyway, my total was $85 and took 3 weeks. The scope is brand new, but because it was made in Denver has no warranty, if I ever have problems I wouldn't hesitate to send it back to Ironsight.

Tim