THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Looking for some info on high quality spottin scopes

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for some info on high quality spottin scopes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking to buy a high quality spotting scope for sheep hunting. I would like everyones thought on the Zeis, Sworovski and Leica and which one they would think would be the best overall for what I am looking for. I would think they would be the same but I don't know much about them and may be missing something. I have heard that Zeiss is better for low light but that is one persons opinion.
Thanks

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might also consider a Pentax. I've used the PF-80ED and was impressed. It's half the cost of the European spotting scopes.

Posts: 106 | Location: Florida | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used 3 different Swaro's and 2 Leica's. I prefer the APO Leica to the HD Swaro's. I haven't compared them directly to the new Zeiss' yet...................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
If you want a variable eye piece then go with the Swarovski, If you are going with a wide angle fixed eyepiece then it's a toss up. The Swarovski is the only variable eye piece that Better View Desired has ever recomended

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i sure don't want to carry my swaro up and down mountains, maybe because its so big and heavy or maybe because i'm getting to old a lazy. instead i have a small leupold (its about 15 yrs old) 30x fixed power that small & light and can be carried around easy. this one has a crass hair in it thats really quite handy when trying to point something out to someone else. The key to it is having good glass in something small & light. same goes for the tripod.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Most of my "scope" experience has been through astronomical telescopes... What amazes me with the Swaro's and for that matter the Leica's is the extreme prices... At least for the APO Leica's you are talking absolute top quality optics which is what this is all about.. With an APO lensing system you simply get the clearest color aberation free view of any other lense system (shy of the fluorite APOs from several telescope manufacturers)... Though weighing in at about 4 to 5 lbs I can gather MUCH more light that is color aberation free in a 90 or 102 mm Maksutov Cassegrain telescope made for land viewing.... The clarity will exceed any of the standard spotting scopes and many of the very high end ones. With a high quality zoom eyepiece the whole thing would set you back between 5 and 6 hundred dollars... Just my two cents worth....

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For Sheep hunting I suggest that you stay away from the larger 77mm + tubes. You will be happier with a 60-65mm tube as the size and weight is more comfortable to lug around with you.
As far as a quality difference between the three it is more of a personal flavor decision. IMHO the Zeiss FL would be considered the most flavorful as I think that the colors are brightest thru it whereas the Leica and Swarovski would be more true or muted. The Leica is probably the highest quality as far as workmanship and materials used, but all three are excellent.
The bottom line is that if you choose one of these three you will be happy and not feel the need to purchase another scope. If you have designs on doing some digiscoping than go with the HD version of Swarovski or the APO version of the Leica. The Zeiss is an FL and quite ready to be used for digiscoping.

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3702 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote