New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope mounting Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys, I just finished mounting a bushnell banner scope on my varmint rig and i took notice that when i look through the scope with my right eye which is my shooting eye the crosshairs look straight, but when i switch to my left eye they look like they are on an angle down toward the right. So i loosened the scope and with my left eye i got them straight but then they were crooked when i looked through it with my right eye. I hope i didnt confuse anyone with this question, but is this normal, and should i worry about it. I also noticed that the scope on my 300 winny is the same way but it shoots excellent 3/4 groups at 100 yds with factory ammo. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bill

Posts: 163 | Location: York Pa | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will naturally "cock" the gun one way or the other, depending on which shoulder you mount it to. This will result in the crosshair appearing straight when viewed with one eye, but crooked when viewed with the other. Quit being schizoid and just mount it so that it appears straight when mounted to your normal shooting shoulder.

However, if you want to be anal-retentive, as opposed to schizoid, then buy one of the scope "levelling" devices that assure your scope is plumb with the vertical axis of your rifle. Of course, if it is, it will always appear tilted when you mount it in the normal position.

Small minds have been driven mad over less.

Gnit pickers will point out that if your scope reticle is not plumb with the gun then you introduce an aiming error at extended yardage. This is not necessarily true. It is only if the reticle is not plumb with the Earth that you introduce this aiming error. Unless you are shooting 1000 yard benchrest, don't sweat it.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you left eye is crooked.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, thanks stonecreek, you answered my question exactly. Ive been hearing all this stuff about cant of your scope and anti cant devices and if off it will throw your aim off like a half inch at 100 yds and in varmint hunting that could be one more day of life for the little critter, That is why i asked this Question, but i dont think im a "schizoid" just a little under Knowledged in the subject but, thanks alot

Posts: 163 | Location: York Pa | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of coyote bait
posted Hide Post
I was always told that you match the scope to the gun, not the scope to you. The scope should be true to the rifle.

Life is too short to be taken seriously, it is only temporary and none of us are getting out of it alive.

Posts: 45 | Location: Miltonvale, Kansas | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the finest rifle shots of our time used this rifle to completely dominate High-Power Rifle Silhouette, shot offhand to 547 yds:

On a hunting rifle a slight cant from plumb matters not a whit at normal hunting ranges if you shoot it with the crosshairs level.
There are valid arguements on both side of whether or not you should let the sites be canted off plumb to make them level when you hold the gun comfortably. But more than a dozen national championships won with rifles that have the sites mounted waaaaaaayyyyyy off the center of the grip/bore line have made me a lot less worried about a few degrees off center if it allows them to be straight when I'm aiming it.........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coyote bait:
I was always told that you match the scope to the gun, not the scope to you. The scope should be true to the rifle.

I want my scope to be comfortable to me when I am shooting . the Scope does not need to be comfortable to the rifle.
dj, is correct and you can be very accrate at over 1K with the reticle level to the horizon when you hold the rifle in a shooting position even if the reticle is not plumb with the rifle
Here is a 300 yard group that I shot at 300 yards

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote