Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weaver or Leupold Rings and Bases
 Login/Join

posted
I'm replacing the scope on my model 700, 270 Win, rifle and am trying to decide if I should buy new rings and bases at the same time.

My old scope has Weaver rings and bases. Are there advantages to using Leupold rings and bases to use with their VX-III scope? Thanks for your input.

SGH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have ~50 weaver mounts and rings.
I have ~3 Leupold mounts and rings.

I try to standardize on Weavers, but some guns come used with Leupold rings, like this week end.

For single base Weavers, scopes can move without twisting and lapping.
For dual base Weavers, scopes can move without twisting and lapping if the bases are bedded with alignment.

I can swap scopes between two rifles in 5 minutes and have them on the 8.5x11" paper at least at 50y and hopefully at 100y.
I carry enough tools, and sometimes I take 5 rifles and only one 40X scope to the range.

The Leupold stuff I take off and throw on the bone pile.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your scope has a short tube (the VX-lll 2.5-8 has a very short tube) you might need to use the Leupold reversible bases for fit. My experience with Leupold bases and rings has always been excellent.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Weaver rings and bases are strong but ugly. If I'm mounting a scope in non detachable rings then I always use leupold dual dovetails. They look great and are as strong as anything else out there. I try to avoid the standard windage adjustable rear bases because I don't trust them to be strong enough.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Leupold (Redfield-type) bases and rings would be considered by most superior in appearance and precision to the old standard partly-aluminum Weaver system. I have used both and find both functional. The Weavers tend to roll the scope as the one-sided screws are tightened, which can cause some heartburn, and they are assymetrical with sharp corners on the screw side. Once attached, they're strong enough, as are the Redfields (or Leupolds, Burris, Millett and all of the others who make the standard Redfield-type mount.)

Bottom line: It's not necessary to replace your mounts for functional purposes. For appearance purposes, it is a matter of taste.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
The Leupold (Redfield-type) bases and rings would be considered by most superior in appearance and precision to the old standard partly-aluminum Weaver system. I have used both and find both functional. The Weavers tend to roll the scope as the one-sided screws are tightened, which can cause some heartburn, and they are assymetrical with sharp corners on the screw side. Once attached, they're strong enough, as are the Redfields (or Leupolds, Burris, Millett and all of the others who make the standard Redfield-type mount.)

Bottom line: It's not necessary to replace your mounts for functional purposes. For appearance purposes, it is a matter of taste.

+1 for the weavers rolling the scope when tightened.
My next base/rings will be Warne or Deadnutz

One of Us
Picture of rick boggs
posted Hide Post
i like the dead nutz mounts have them on 3 of my rifles and really like them natchez has them in their book for the 700 for around 50.00

Posts: 518 | Location: KENTUCKY | Registered: 05 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I have used Leupold QR rings and mounts on almost all my rifles, from .223Rem to .416Rem for more than 12 years. Never had a problem, they always return to zero and the scope can be removed for cleaning the rifle or when going into the bush with open sights. They are more expensive, but in my opinion well worth it.

I use Warne on Ruger rifles and revolvers.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold rings & bases allow windgage adjustment before using scope adjustments.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Leupold two pc. bases with dual dovetail rings....on ALL of my Rem 700 and Browning A bolts and Weatherby's.....love them.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum SGH.

I like Weaver rings and bases. Stay with what you have for now.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Both are fine but also look a Talley's light weight single piece units, can find them on line at Midway USA

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, Burris Signature rings can't be beat!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
SGH, Midway has the Talley single piece for Rems 700 on sale right now

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote