New
Find
Notify
Tools

Min. Focus Distance?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm sighting/testing a new rifle. Leupold VXII, 3 - 9X, 40mm.

Out at infinity the image looks sharp. But at 30 meters it's a bit blurry. Am I trying to focus under the min. distance?

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Pick an object that's roughly what distance you'll be shooting at (100-200yds) and focus the scope on that object. The minimum and maximum distances will just have to be a compromise, but shouldn't be all that bad. The new Leupolds do have a fast focus, but it doesn't really lend itself to what a fast focus was designed for.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but what's the minimum focal distance for a scope like this? I'm working at 25 yds. and thinking I'm inside the min. focus distance.

Also, and I just sort of stumbled on this one. At 100 yds, or where-ever it is I want to focus, I use some sort of printed packaging -- box for ammo would work, box from a case of soda.

High contrast printing, typically "sharp" in colors, and variable print sizes. You could always use the "eye chart" from the optometrist, but printed packaging gets the job done.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll find the minimum focus distance to be closer at 3x than at 9x (which is appropriate insofar as you hardly need the 9x at 25 steps). I've had no trouble pulling the focus down to around 30 feet at 3x, but I would recommend focusing at a somewhat longer yardage.

If you REALLY need to focus closer, that's what the EFR series is for.

Posts: 13248 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where is Rick when you need him.

One problem with a scope at close range may be the front end. IE Parallax (sp) Thats why they have scopes with adjustable objectives. (I think.)

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote