Find
Notify
Tools

Rear bell bent
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted
As I was literally loading my gear in my truck for my recent mule deer hunt in Sonora, I found my rifle and case on the floor, having fallen 3 ft from my bench.

To make a long story short, after a total CF with America West, Mexican customs etc I shot off the hood of a truck, figured I pulled the shot, then went out and missed a deer (at 90 yards) went back to the truck, shot again and realized duh I didn't pull the shot-it's a bit high, lowered the crosshairs 3in (now it's only 2in high at 100), killed two mule deer and wondered "why is my bolt sticking" only to realize it was hitting the rear bell of the scope.....whew!!

The scope functioned properly after being re-zeroed, magnification was fine etc. Both deer shot at distance- 247 & 256yds.

The scope is a Zeiss VM/V 3-9 x 42mm. I've already orcered a Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x 42mm replacement for that rifle.

Is there anything wrong with using the scope? I didn't register the warranty with Zeiss when I got it.

A. Is a bent rear bell any big deal if the internals still work?

B. If it's fine should I just say piss on it and put it on my K-Hornet as the rings are higher on that rifle?

C. What will Zeiss do if I were to send it- as it was clearly MY fault?

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had that happen with a microdot scope that KLM decided to bash in. Believe it or not we sighted it in and it worked find enough to take a couple of african type antelope with. sent it back & they repaired it for free

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
I would resend it to Zeiss - they will change the case of the scope and insert the lenses again I guess...

You are pretty right with the new Z6: good decission!!!

Klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote