New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Bionoculars, What Power?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am ready to buy a new pair of bionoculars. I am going with Meoptas. That part is decided, the question is 8x42,8x56, 10x42, 10x50? I am replacing a pair of 8x30 Steiners. Most of my hunting is in open hardwoods or open planted pines. 250 yards are long shots 90% of the time. I plan to make a trip out west for elk in the next three yearsand do have the current 8x. Trade up to better 8x or get more magnification?

Posts: 65 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 02 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All around, I think 10 x 42's are hard to beat. That being said, I understand that Zeiss has a limited promotion for the Conquest series at $799 for the 10 x 40's.....if they're anywhere near as good as the Conquest scope, that's a deal....they normally sell for $999.

Good luck with your choice.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
depends on your ability to hold the galsses steady. Try both the 8 and 10 powers looking at the mud joints in a brick wall. If you can hold the 10 power steady enough then they are for you, if not go back to the 8. most people will have trouble with the 10 power

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
250 yards? Stay with the eight powers.

The lower power with its wider field of view is much better for scanning for game, and will not be nearly as prone to causing eyestrain.

I would only use a 10-power if distances are consistently longer than 300 yards. Even then, if you anticipate long sessions sitting and scanning a lot of territory for extended periods I would opt for the 8x instrument.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. My son started 4-H BB gun and I found stat Seiners auto focus won't tune in at 10 meters. I was wanting an excuse for new ones anyway. 8x it is.

Posts: 65 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 02 October 2006Reply With Quote