New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leica ER scopes versus Leupold VX6
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a Leupold VX6 boone and crockett.

I am looking for another scope and thinking of another Leupold.

But I have seen Leica ER on sale in sale price context $600-$700.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Must say, it was news to me that Leica scopes could be bought at prices that low. I used to think Leica did not have much history in scopes but the local vicar went to their factory and told me their scopes go back half a century or more, so they may know what they're doing there.

Leupold are one of the best brands as they stand now but I am wary of any scope with a big zoom multiple. Going beyond 3x multiples was a challenge years ago, probably because, as with a camera, when you turn the power up lenses have to move forward, in scopes that means towards (or beyond?) the first focal plane.

With modern, constantly centred reticles, that requires several lenses and a brassy power scroll to be stuffed into the articulated erector tube, to be rocked around by recoil. The more lenses and the farther lenses need to be scrolled forward, the greater danger recoil becomes.

So, when in doubt less is more and 5x multiples might be expected to be slightly less problematic than 6x.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only Leica optic I have is a rangefinder. It's excellent and never given me trouble.
After comments here on AR of disappointing after sales service / warranty claims in the USA I would be wary of purchasing Leica brand optics.

I have owned / used several Leupold scopes for many years. At times they have taken unintended abuse but never failed me. Leupold builds tough scopes I believe ( even the vari power models ). Have dealt with Leupold after sales perhaps twice for replacements for lost parts ( turret caps, rubber seals ) which were supplied gratis and promptly. That goes a long way with me.

All my Euro optics are Swarovski ( for similar reasons ), all my USA optics are Leupold. That works for me. Hope these comments help you.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2044 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have neither of these scopes for comparison, and not sure of the power range that you are considering. So, this is basically general conversation on my part. I personally would be more inclined to go with the Leica.

I have recently purchased some of the discontinued ERi 2.5-10x42mm with 4a illuminated reticle.
I think these are good value for the current price point, for a set and forget scope.

I must say I really like optical view of this scope. Surprisingly, I like this reticle also. And this is from a guy that is very fond of 1st focal plane #4's.
If the the illumination control had off positions in between the intensity settings, I would find little to complain about. This is not a bright day-light illumination scope and that suits me fine also.

I have no hesitation purchasing Leica products. Several years ago I purchased a demo 7x42 binocular that I really like. It has been used pretty hard and zero issues.
I have read their customer services have improved considerably.

quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
I bought a Leupold VX6 boone and crockett.

I am looking for another scope and thinking of another Leupold.

But I have seen Leica ER on sale in sale price context $600-$700.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 426 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bought the Leica - was $500 and leupold was $700.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$499 for a 2-10x50 is a great price..I'm going to have to order one..maybe two just on principle.

I see they normally are listed at $999

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Get it with the 4-a if low-light is your primary application. It was re-designed for this non-illuminated series and is quite bold, with the center wires covering 0.5" on 10x at 100 yards.

My 2-10x50 now sits on my 7mm Bullberry. At $499, it offers a lot of performance for the price and is likely the best value for the $$ out there right now.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9372 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
terrific deal for that price... Smiler

Let us know how you like it.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9372 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Damned good price! I hope it works for you.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the ERi 2.5-10 on my 375 for my first safari. Excellent glass for the money. Don't know about the Leupold but the Leica has great clarity and huge eye relief. I think you will like your purchase, especially at that price.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent scope.

I liked the Leica so much I bought a second one.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Between euro optics and ar classified I have bought 6 Leica scopes. The er5 are awesome glass for the money.

They are big scopes - the 4 56 mm that I have bought. But they are excellent to shoot. I really don’t like looking at any of my other glass after shooting thru the Leica.

The vx 6 remains in my gunsmith safe.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As stated prior, I bought a few of the close-out ERi 2.5-10x42mm with 4a illuminated reticle. The optics still impress.

I also have one of the Magnus 1-6.3x24, 4A illuminated. I really like this scope. I was certainly hesitant due to the ocular illumination control. But after familiarization, this may be may favorite illumination control. The optics are stellar to my eyes and use. Though the price, does make my eyes water !

I have the Leica 7x42 Ultravid HD binocular, and after several years of use, continues to impress.

Posts: 426 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike....where can I find that ER5 for $499?

Edit: I see there's none left anywhere for any price. Oh well.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
Hey Mike....where can I find that ER5 for $499?

Eurooptics has some on clearance - not sure anymore.

I bought 2 3-15 x 56 for $669 each recently. They just got a clearance shipment.

These are damn good scopes.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks....not seeing any left anywhere.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

https://www.eurooptic.com/sear...x?keyword=leica+er+5

Not sure what remains -it was a small batch this time around.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Mike

Thanks. Just ordered it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Thanks. Just ordered it.

tu2

Which one did you get ?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks plain. Maybe a gold ring would dress it up a bit.

Posts: 3810 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Thanks. Just ordered it.

tu2

Which one did you get ?

Mike

2-10x 50.....only reticle available was mag

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Looks plain. Maybe a gold ring would dress it up a bit.

Yes because how it looks is most important.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Which one did you get ?

Mike

What are the lowest profile rings for mounting it? I want that 50mm as close to the barrel as possible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Which one did you get ?

Mike

What are the lowest profile rings for mounting it? I want that 50mm as close to the barrel as possible.

I have all my leica scopes on blaser barrels. I use the standard 30 mm mount for 50 and 56 tubes.

The rifle, barrels and scopes are far better than I will ever be.

Mike