New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold's Costom Shop
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thinking about sending my Leupold scope back to Leupold to have them put some custom mil dots and maybe custom compensation dials put on for my gun and load data. Just wondering if anyone has done this and what they say about it. One of my friends did it and loves it, He put dots in for 300, 400, 500 yards and had the custom bullet drop compensation dials put in for those long long shots. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had custom ballistic compensation reticles installed in two Leupold scopes by the Custom Shop. Have no complaints, price was reasonable, service was good.

I had specified the ballistic compensation I required from a calculated ballistic curve - as opposed to one measured and observed. In the end, the actual POI for the various aiming points were close enough to what I had wanted. After all, it is not that easy to be accurate within 1-2-3" at 400 yds and beyond.

I would use the service of the Leupold Custom Shop again.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd make sure that the scope I was using had enough elevation adjustment for the range that I wanted to shoot. If you wind up using a 20 or 30 moa scope mount that will possibly change everything.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't do it in a million years.

The best scope/reticle you can have is the Leupold Mark IV LR/ERT Front Focal in the powers you want with the TMR (tactical milling reticle)

It's better than any mil dot reticle. It has marks for 1/2 mil increments and they are lines, not big "footballs" to obscure your target.

Do not have dials made for "your" load or a reticle made for "your" load.

Develop the data from JBM and actual shooting and tape a drop chart to your stock. You can use it to hold over as well with the TMR.

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
I wouldn't do it in a million years.

The best scope/reticle you can have is the Leupold Mark IV LR/ERT Front Focal in the powers you want with the TMR (tactical milling reticle)

It's better than any mil dot reticle. It has marks for 1/2 mil increments and they are lines, not big "footballs" to obscure your target.

Do not have dials made for "your" load or a reticle made for "your" load.

Develop the data from JBM and actual shooting and tape a drop chart to your stock. You can use it to hold over as well with the TMR.

+1 tu2

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote