New
Find
Notify
Tools

VX-R 2-7x33mm vs VX-6 1-6x24mm for DG rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am in need of a new scope for a Model 70 .375 H&H that I will be using for a single rifle safari predominately for buffalo but also for some plains game. Thinking about the illuminated reticule with the German #4 fire dot in the 2-7 or the fire dot duplex in the 1-6. The 1-6 is the newest (and therefore ? the greatest) but like the idea of the slightly greater magnification of the 2-7 and it also has a bit of a weight savings (12.7 oz vs 14.6 oz). Does anyone have any ideas or experience with these?
Thanks,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can only comment on the vx-6 1x6 Illuminated Cicle Dot Reticle. I purchased one about a month ago after driving myself crazy with various scope options. I'm not Leupold zealot so I feel my impressions (I'm concerned about real world utility at < 100 yards not whether I can see 9.5 vs 10 lines at 200)are unbiased.

Ergonomics:Here little things make a big difference. This scope is relatively compact compared to some others. The eye piece is 3.5 inches long and tapered toward the front where it meets the magnification ring..nice, no crowded thumb when you snap up the bolt handle.
The elevation and windage'knobs'I call them that because they are wide,flat and very readable. No squinting at these babies,great for field adjustments.They are pretty tight to the scope and only protrude about 1/2 inch, no problems with ejection or loading.

General:About five inches of mounting space split evenly for and aft. * The overall length of the scope 11.0 inches gives the impression that there would be more room up front but the lens is recessed about a full inch from the end of the scope tube. This easily mounts on any magnum length action. The fast focus is just that,very short rotation to change the focus.

Field Optics: The field of view here must be The Imax of hunting scopes but at one power a high front sight might confuse your sight picture. At two power it blurs enough not to be a factor. The eyebox on this is very forgiving put the gun up and the target is 'right there' no hunting around for a clear sight picture. Nice! I was a little concerned about the reticle being too busy or vague. It is a circle dot,but is more like a duplex with a circle dot. All of the posts have a slight wide to narrow taper and are thick enough to pick up quickly even without the illumination. The illumination is easily adjusted by pressing the left side turrent, brightness is well calibrated and should be good for any condition. It didn't take me long to really like it ! Eye relief is listed at 3.8 inches I'd say that is correct and it does remain constant throughout the range of magnification

Optical Quality : OK no fighting, again these are just my impressions. These are the best optics to my eyes I've ever seen on a Leupold scope. Edge to edge clarity is excellent. In a quick comparison the brightness and clarity was better than a Zeiss Conquest with a much bigger objective . I was surprised how well it compared to a Swarovski Z3 it was very close. The optical quality is consistant throughout the entire range although you may need to adjust the focus at the extremes. By now you may have gathered that I'm pleased with the scope and I am. We'll see how it holds up over time to 450 Rigby abuse but it's doing fine after 30 rounds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
4-5-0,
Thank you for your impressions of the VX-6. That is exactly what I wanted to know. Anybody running the VX-R 2-7? Would like to know if there is any difference in reliability or optical quality.

One of Us
Picture of Maximus Brutus
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in the VX-R 2-7x33mm too. Only review I could find was this one - http://www.chuckhawks.com/leup...-R_2-7x33_3-9x40.htm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the VX-R 2-7 and I love it. It has proven to be durable with reliable movement, easy to point and get on target quickly especially with the dot lit and lowlight performance and image clarity that would cause me to save $500 and leave the 6 on the shelf, or save the 1000 to 1500 dollars and leave the Swaro on the shelf. There come comes a point when optics are as seviceable as they can be and "better" is wasted money. YOU still have to steady the rifle and squeeze the trigger.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quintus,
That is really good information for me. I spoke to a Leupold technician who suggested that I should get the VX-6 because the clarity was "better" as well as the FOV. I think that in the real world, and with your being happy with the clarity, durability etc., the VX-R 2-7 may save me enough money to make it the better choice.
Thanks to all.

One of Us
Picture of Maximus Brutus
posted Hide Post
I've just ordered a VXR 2-7 for my Heym .416 Rigby. The specification is ideal for a rifle that could be used on dangerous or plains game, and it won't look out of place on this type of gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if the illuminated red dot on these two scopes are the same size at a given magnification? I emailed Leupold but have not heard back.
Maximus Brutus, have you received your VxR 2-7 and are you happy with it so far?

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edod:
Does anyone know if the illuminated red dot on these two scopes are the same size at a given magnification? I emailed Leupold but have not heard back.
Maximus Brutus, have you received your VxR 2-7 and are you happy with it so far?

Yes. I have a VX-R 1.25-4 w/the Firedot #4 and a VX6 2-12 w/the illuminated duplex. Changing the magnification does not affect the size of the illuminated dot.

These are very nice scopes IMO.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have and use Swaro on most of my hunting rifles and a few Leupolds. I had previously had Leupolds.

I purchased a 2-12 VX6 for my 416 earlier this year.

I am now likely to change all my rifles to the VX 6. The optics are the best Leupold I have ever used, and are as good as my Swaros. The scope movements are crisp and function well. I also like the illumination of the VX 6 for the few times I may ever use it.

This crop of Leupolds and the VX 6 in particular is top notch equipment at what is now a very resonable price.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like I will not go wrong with either of the choices. Thanks for the information.