THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Docter VS S&B 8x56 scope ,which is brightest.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I narrowed my choices for a 8x56 illuminated reticle scope down to a Docter or Schmidt & Bender. Has anyone compared the 2? It wont be on a big recoiling rifle, so I dont need big eye relief or strength, just best at night. Has any one compared the Docter scope with the Schmidt and bender?

Sympathy please ,I have champagne tastes and beer budget

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
S&B thumb
Received your check, mate.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to admit that I haven't compared them, but I've NEVER seen an optics test that ranked Docter anywhere near the top. Of the two, I'd go for the S$B and never look back.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Can't speak for the S&B, but I have a friend that purchased one of the Docters and his was faulty right out of the box. Didn't have enought elevation adjustment to zero his rifle at 100yds in the proper Leupold mounts. Just a fluke I'm sure. The glass was pretty descent, but no better than a Monarch or Conquest to my eyes.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own & use both S&B & Docter but not those particular models.

I just HAD to have an illuminated recticle scope and settled on a 2.5-10x48 Docter. It's a good scope; for sure but after using it found out I really didn't need; nor want to use the illunimated part, so now it stays pretty much permanently turned off. If I had to do it over again I'd have saved myself some hard-earned cash and bought one without the illuminated option.

I've got a whole bunch of Zeiss, S&B, Kahles, Docter, Leupold & Weaver scopes. For my aging eyes the best scope in my stable is a S&B straight-powered 6x42. Don't know why but it appears to me to be the clearest scope in the whole bunch. So for that reason I would wholeheartedly recommend the S&B 8x56 over the Docter but them my advice would have to be to just purchase the straight 8x56 without the electrical circuit!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have decided on the S&B scope ,which I will buy next week. (then wait 6 weeks for it to arrive) I will go for the illuminated reticle as this scope will be my night scope. The rifle will wear a basic variable with mil-dot or TDS type reticle for daytime shooting ,then switch to the S&B scope in Leupold QRW lever rings for night hunting.

Sympathy please ,I have champagne tastes and beer budget

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
S&B are in a class of their own. I have a S&B illuminated reticle scope. My mate has a Docter which he really liked. He tried mine and brought his own S&B. The Docter is on the bench in his shed. ( for 2 years now).

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friend who married a German and visits yearly told me the other night that Docter is the new brand for the east German Zeiss werk. Under the commies it was Zeiss East.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This isn't directly responsive to your question, but CDNN has some Kahles fixed power large objective scopes for sale cheap: Kahles at CDNN

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote