New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock mounted Spotter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've hunted with a guide several times who has an old push focus tube Swaro spotting scope mounted in a rifle stock, he is very proficient at using it in the field, and it is a lot more versatile than a spotter that needs to be on a stand or clamped to the window or whatever.

I am wanting to create a stock mounted spotter, and was wondering if it would be just as well to purchase a high power variable socpe for this application as opposed to an actual spotting scope.

I figure I would put a dowel or piece of bar stock to mount the bases to, and then use traditional rings for the high power scope option, would rig up some kind of a plate for an actual spotting scope that would allow it to be secured to the stock......which do you think would be the best option?

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your budget can handle it, buy one of the ready made units that are available. I seem to remember Leupold offering something. These are lightweight and work well.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the spotter stock mounting is quite an old trick. Just take any old stock, slue a liece of wood in the wag well area, drill a hole for a 1/4x20 bolt. put a big washer on the bottom and screw the spotter on. it will settle in just fine on the edges of the channel. and no - i doubt that a telescope or rifle scope will work nearly as well as a spotter

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LJS, I will check into the Leupy stock style 'holder' and see what the story is on it.

Seems like it should be spotter not be 42X nightforce though

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote