Find
Notify
Tools

Zeiss scopes on eBay
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted
A friend and I may have "stepped in it." We each bought a Zeiss Conquest, 4-16x, on eBay. Since our purchase, we found on the Zeiss site a warning against purchase of several of their scopes through eBay. Our particular models were not on the Zeiss list. However, the person we purchased from did have some of those on the Zeiss list up for sale. We are awaiting the arrival of the two scopes with trepidation. We will provide an update after we receive the scopes.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
I saw these listed on ebay from a Singapore location. The scopes stated they were either Made in USA or Assembled in USA, I forget which.
Their Feedback was good save for one person who stated something like "Fake is fake", or words to that effect. But he gave them positive Feedback.
Please keep us posted as to what arrives. The prices were very attractive.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something's fishy for sure. Meopta made the Conquests for Zeiss here in NY, USA. Singapore shouldn't have anything to do with it, and a real 4-16x doesn't exist.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
My friend called. His "Zeiss" showed up yesterday. We are going to give it a going-over while having a good cigar this afternoon. Will relay our findings as soon as we have some reliable information to give to you.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
The "Zeiss" box did not look substantial. The scope inside, we could not get the turrets loose so couldn't check clicks of adjustment. It was not as clear as other scopes we each had, none of them with the quality name of Zeiss.

We are thinking of taking the scopes to the range mounted on rifles, then shooting to see how they do.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I would try to get your money back before putting marks on them. If that size range is not made in Conquests, they can't be genuine.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Sambarman, We have decided to do that. Someone else notified us the scopes were made in China. We understand that eBay may help us with the return of these scopes. I looked at a Weaver the other day that was much better in optics and general workings.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Good luck with it, prof242. Despite criticisms, I think ebay tries to keep things straight. Their system of feedback should penalise shonks. Legitimate vendors, at least, certainly become concerned to keep good reputations.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
Sambarman, We have decided to do that. Someone else notified us the scopes were made in China. We understand that eBay may help us with the return of these scopes. I looked at a Weaver the other day that was much better in optics and general workings.

Box them up as received and notify the seller that you're returning them for a refund and immediately ship them back, with a signature required.

You might also notify ebay that the scopes are not Zeiss and you may be filing a claim.

If you do ANYTHING but the above you will quite likely be voiding your refund privledges. The idea of shooting them is silly, just like thinking you're going to get new quality made scopes on ebay for less than half price.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For sure notify Zeiss. I'm sure their lawyers would like to have a crack at them! You might even receive comp from Zeiss in the form of legit scopes.

Posts: 3710 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Bobster, that would be great, but I have no desire to profit from this stupid move of my friend and I. We deserve what we got.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

One of Us
Picture of slugslinger
posted Hide Post
FYI, I'm PROF242's friend that bought the other scope. I called Zeiss, and confirmed the scopes are counterfeit. From the tone I heard from the Zeiss rep, they're sort of annoyed people are buying from eBay (who Zeiss has warned about the counterfeits), instead of from reputable Zeiss dealers. The old "sounds too good to be true" adage applies here!

NRA Endowment Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 521 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slugslinger
posted Hide Post
Follow-up:
When you request a return/refund via eBay, they request a reason for the return. One of those reason options is "Fake or Counterfeit", which I selected. eBay then follows up with a message to the buyer that if the seller does not satisfactorily address the problem within a week, they (eBay) will re-engage. I should know soon how the seller will respond.
I also sent photos and other info to the rep at Zeiss for their records. Interestingly, my registration of the scope through Zeiss was processed without issue, even though the serial number was bogus. I also noted that problem to the Zeiss rep with whom I spoke. They should have bounced my registration attempt.

USAF Veteran

One of Us
Picture of slugslinger
posted Hide Post
More follow-up:
The seller swears that the scope is "100% Zeiss" unique to the Asian market, which we are suspicious may mean assembled from Zeiss parts, but not actually a Zeiss scope. Zeiss swears that it is not a Zeiss scope and the SN is not in their database, but they never use the words "fake" or "counterfeit". The scope has some good features and appears to be good quality optics when compared to similar scopes. The dilemma continues!

USAF Veteran

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most foreign companies don't have trademark protection, so they can put whatever name they want on it. There is nothing a Zeiss lawyer could do about it. EBAY does take care of sellers, so I'd go through EBAY and not directly to the seller.

Posts: 3810 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote