THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Question about a Schmidt & Bender 6X42LM Klassic.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about a Schmidt & Bender 6X42LM Klassic.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
Anyone know anything about the quality of these rifle scopes? They are made by Schmidt & Bender Hungaria Optik GmbH in Budapest, Hungary. Thanks. CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I haven't used these but, though they have been outsourced to another country, expect they would be close enough to the mark. Budapest may have been behind the iron curtain but was also the growth centre of the Austro-Hungarian Empire a century ago.

From my reading of the catalogue below, I glean that the S&B Custom line uses the old design; that the knobs have mounting indicators, suggests it may be one of the last reticle-movement hunting scopes - and that could mean the fixed powers may not have a fragile, movable erector tube.

To me, that is as good it gets for several reasons, oblivious of the lens quality, though you might need to get it mounted by a competent gunsmith to keep the reticle centred.

In a fixed 6x, you might also want to get quick-detachable claw mounts, as the Europeans do, so that if you need to make a precise close shot you could rip the scope off and use iron sights.

Ask if the reticle can be easily adjusted out of centre - if the answer is yes, buy it.

http://www.barlov.sk/katalogy/...g-1337093095-875.pdf

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for checking into it. I found the reticle movement features very interesting. Sure would like to run into someone that actually owns one. My big question is, is it a watered down version of the German one? Sure fits my price point at under $700 delivery included from Europe to the states. Anyone else? CB

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
Several[5] years ago hunting in Hungary we had a day in Budapest.After visiting the hunting museum we decided a trip to the Schmidt&Bender factory was in order.
We eventually found it in what I would describe as a rather run down industrial estate.
However the staff were very welcoming and happy to show us around. We couldn't visit the assembly area because of dust issues,plausible enough I suppose.
We expressed our curiosity on the price differences between a German S&B and a Hungarian one. The manager explained to us that all parts are manufactured in Germany and the scopes are assembled from these parts in Hungary.
Lower wage costs and overheads. The Hungarian S&B scopes are quite popular here and offer good value.
However on The Stalking Directory Forum is an interesting thread by Brewsher500. He fitted his S&B scope onto his 300WinMag.The reticle broke after the 1st shot and S&B will not cover it under warranty. Um,makes you think.
The reticles are fixed/centred by the by.

Posts: 457 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Why would they not fix the reticle under warranty, I wonder? The 300 Win mag is hardly a big kicker.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIKA98K:
Several[5] years ago hunting in Hungary we had a day in Budapest.After visiting the hunting museum we decided a trip to the Schmidt&Bender factory was in order.
We eventually found it in what I would describe as a rather run down industrial estate.
However the staff were very welcoming and happy to show us around. We couldn't visit the assembly area because of dust issues,plausible enough I suppose.
We expressed our curiosity on the price differences between a German S&B and a Hungarian one. The manager explained to us that all parts are manufactured in Germany and the scopes are assembled from these parts in Hungary.
Lower wage costs and overheads. The Hungarian S&B scopes are quite popular here and offer good value.
However on The Stalking Directory Forum is an interesting thread by Brewsher500. He fitted his S&B scope onto his 300WinMag.The reticle broke after the 1st shot and S&B will not cover it under warranty. Um,makes you think.
The reticles are fixed/centred by the by.
Very interesting site, the Stalking Directory. I found a few other posts on S&B service there. Thanks much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6x42 Klassik 25mm tube. Not sure what the LM is offhand. Unfortunately I haven't mounted it on a rifle yet. I have checked the optics on a 100m plus range using a resolution chart printed off the net. A bit rough and ready but better than eyeballing a tree or something. I compared various scopes. It was far better than my Leupy VX3 3.5-10x40. It was just below a Swaro Z3 at similar magnification (similar objective). There was a noticeable step up with an IOR (2.5-10×42) and a NF (2.5-10×32). A good piece of glass though. Of course not all scopes are at 6x when set on 6x so the comparison is not totally reliable. I like it very much and look forward to putting it on a rifle. My crosshair was a bit coarse for what I like. This comparison was as a friend and I saw it.

I should add that eye relief is not particularly long, but adequate.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AFRICAN LEADWOOD:
I have a 6x42 Klassik 25mm tube. Not sure what the LM is offhand.

LM = LEICHTMETAL or aluminium as we know it

Posts: 457 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for clearing that up. That's what I have, not a steel tube.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote