Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold LPS Scopes ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted
Anybody out there have experience with the LPS line from Leupold... I've noticed that classic long eye relief of the Leupold's and the optics looked very good (a quick stop by Cabelas over the weekend)... Just looking for any first hand experience....

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Working w/ one right now on a 22-250.

Nice scope but can not honestly tell a difference between it and my VXII. Would not spend the extra personally.

It's certainly no better than a Zeiss conquest and I would buy the Zeiss long before the LPS. Not to mention the amount you'd save.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Thanks Clem, Reloader...

I considered the Zeiss but I'm putting it on a 340 Weatherby thumper.. In the Conquest line the only one with sufficient eye relief is the 3 - 9 with 4 inches... The rest of the line drops to 3.5 and below...

What I liked about the LPS (not the price) was that it's available in 2.5 - 10 and 3.5 - 14... A good amount of the hunting here in Arizona happens between say 50 to 100 yards so the lower numbers are nice... You do however see shots in the 250 to 350 yard range frequently so the higher (14) was also tempting...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 2.5x10 and like it quite a bit. I honestly don't see any brightness improvemnts with the Swarovskis. Eye relief is excellent and the adjustment range (100 inches) is also a nice feature. Take a look at the #4 reticle. I thought the duplex was a little thin.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leupold had a lot of problems with the erector system on the 1.75-6 and has since discontinued it. Mine didn't make 20 shots before you could hear parts rattling inside it.
I haven't used the others but all reports I've gotten from people I trust really like them. Me I'll stick to Swaro's and Zeiss..............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 2.5x10 and like it very much. I had a 1.5x6x42 that bit the dust after less than 50 rounds. I sent it back to Leupold for repair and received the 2.5x10 in it's place. I was very pleased with the trade.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrfudd:
I have a 2.5x10 and like it very much. I had a 1.5x6x42 that bit the dust after less than 50 rounds. I sent it back to Leupold for repair and received the 2.5x10 in it's place. I was very pleased with the trade.

Yeah man! Bit the dust and a happy customer. Can't beat that line of scopes for sure. pissers

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not own an LPS, but my dad does and I have spent a good amount of time looking through it.

As opposed to some of the other respondants, I can, indeed, tell a difference in the LPS and some of the lower cost Leupolds.

I spent a lot of time comparing my Vari-X III in 4.5 X 14 with my dad's LPS in 3.5 X 14 and there IS a difference.

I personally do not like the LPS just because of the price and the size. That is a darned big scope!

BUT, there is a clear difference in resolution.
I took the time to look at the bark on oak trees at various distances with my scope and my dad's and the LPS was clearly the better scope in regard to being able to see the cracks in the bark on oak trees. Yeah, I know, we don't hunt oak trees, but I was just looking for something to compare the optics with.

But the BIGGEST difference in my Vari-X III and the LPS is the lack of glare in the LPS when looking towards the sun. I compared them for quite some time as the sun came up over the mountains while on a hunt and the LPS was MUCH better in the lack of glare!!!

Having said all that, would I buy an LPS? Probably not. They are very pricey and too large for my tastes in scopes.

I HAVE bought two Leupold 4.5X14X40 LR scopes this year and absolutely love them. They are smaller than the LPS but darned close in optics and I got them with the Boone and Crockett reticle which works great!

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote