New
Find
Notify
Tools

BSA scopes any good?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are BSA scopes any good? Saw a guy at the range who was satisfied and was shooting bulls? Warrenty any good ? Made in China?

Posts: 170 | Location: ky | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
butchloc was being polite. My answer: NO!

The few I have looked through have had a pronounced yellowish cast. For what it's worth, Simmons is markedly better.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
BSA= Better Select Another... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
no

+1

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Definitely NO! thumbdown

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
BSA used to be a name of renown but now it's just a marketing ploy used to sell cheap products to the easily swayed.
Mitchell fishing reels fall into the same category.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Never have been brave enough to buy one, and have never heard anything good about them, only bad. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NO! I mean Hell NO!
Not a fan of Simmons either, but would take a like priced Simmons over a BSA ten to one!
Never heard a single good thing said about BSA.
The ones I have looked through where very hazy, and hard to focus.
MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.../watch?v=qVQc386js7g

www.setfreesoldiers.com
www.soldiermade.com

Montana Maddness
Set Free Ministries MT.

7 days with out meat makes one Weak!

Posts: 422 | Location: Fort Benton MT. and in the wind! | Registered: 06 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,
You ar WRONG. BSA stands for "Better Stay Away"

Wink

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would say you would be wasting your money with BSA. Certainly understand not wanting to invest several hundred dollars in a scope, but might want to consider a "middle of the road..." approach and look at the current offerings by Weaver, Leupold VariX II's, Nikon(lot of good quality for the price) or Bushnell. Lots of European high dollar scopes out there and sure of good quality, but if you do elect to spend more money it is very hard to beat Leupold. No such thing as a used Leupold with their never ending warranty and can resell at much higher residual price than most. Three things to look for in any purchse is quality, service and lastly price.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Magnum Hunter1:

Yes, I agree and like your version of "BSA" better! Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with all above, but will offer this caveat: Almost anyone can build a FIXED power, low-magnification scope which is serviceable. I don't know what, if anything, that BSA offers in a fixed 2, 3, or 4X scope, but if they offer something in this range then it will probably work reasonably well. The problem with inexpensive Asian optics comes when they try to introduce variable power (almost universal) and higher magnification. The variable mechanism is almost always non-concentric (making zero shift with power), and provides moving part interfaces which let moisture infiltrate. The higher magnification amplifies focus difficulties and abberations toward the outer area of the field of view. Bottom line: Stay away from cheap and high powered variables. On the other hand, a cheap 4x on a .22 will work about as well as an expensive one.

But among all of the "brands", I would have the least confidence in a BSA. Offhand, I can't think of a reason for buying one except perhaps as a practical joke on a borish acquaintance.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Hunter1:
Bobby,
You ar WRONG. BSA stands for "Better Stay Away"

Wink
I thought it was Barely Sufficient Apparatus!

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bsa, couldn't stand for barely sufficient apparatus, it isn't that good.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oddbod:
BSA used to be a name of renown but now it's just a marketing ploy used to sell cheap products to the easily swayed.
Mitchell fishing reels fall into the same category.

I *LOVE* your last sentence.....it is so true...that's why I have a large collection of the older Mitchell reels.....frequently grab them at garage sales. The "skirted" open-face spinning reels are ALL (IMO) crap.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot .254 with one from a bench and their Sweet 17 put ten of 'em in a postage stamp at 100 yards on a windy day out of my Savage 93, shot from a foam block across the hood of my old pickup...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BSA were bad in 2000, and have gotten worse since.

But I think a guy can get away with a cheap scope as long as:
1) No rain
2) No adjusting
3) No recoil
4) No low light
5) No low color contrast
6) No high value shots

The only such application are on rimfires for the occasional shooting of rodents.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several BSA Contender scopes on various caliber varmint rifles. I have one, an 8-32X50 on an older Remington 700 Varmint in 22-250 that has made two trips to Wyoming & back & still will shoot a .350" group without any lose of zero.
Now, I do have the intention of replacing these scopes but not because there is anything wrong with them. I have just gotten to a point in life where I can afford to upgrade to an optic such as Burris or Leupold.
I have had good service out of the BSA scopes that I have. They are no match to the clarity that I have seen in other higher priced brands, but if that was the best I could afford at the time I would not be afraid to buy a BSA.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know a guy that could afford a Rolls and chauffeur to take him to shoot rodents.

He uses a $100~$200 18X Asian scope on a Marlin 17HMR.

He didn't get all that money by spending it on nice things.

He says that he thinks he has ~ 10 years left to hunt.

Then his nephew gets the money.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote