Find
Notify
Tools

Conetrol Mounts
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted
Has anyone tried this setup? What do you guys think of them?

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used them a few times, they seem to work well and are very sleek looking, as a matter of fact, I just re-mouned a scope with Conetrol rings on a used rifle I bought yesterday. Whether they're worth the extra money is your call. Personally I would only spring for them on a treasured or very high quality rifle myself.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
My issue is, I'm putting a new scope on my rifle that has conetrol rings and bases already on it. But I'm going to a 30mm scope from a 1in. So I need rings anyhow. The only bases I can find for this Beretta Mato are Talleys or conetrol. I like the 1 incheres just fine I was just wondering if anyone had issues with this product that would justify buying new rings and bases.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had a set on a 300 WSM, and the scope slipped. The scope had been mounted by a gunsmith. I replaced them with Warne, and I haven't had any problems since. One bad experience does not necessarily tell the whole story, but I will never use them again.

One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
Hmmm? That's the kind of thing I was looking for, but didn't want to hear. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary:

It may not be your choice, but Weaver mounts are available for the Mato. I personally really like Weaver mounts and SOME of the Rings that fit them. This is your cheapest and fastest way to scope mounting on a Mato.

Also, at one time, Redfield made mounts for the Mato, if patience is your long suit, you can probably find a set somewhere, possibly on ebay.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
sct:

Any scope can slip if the screws are not tight or the rings don't fit the scope. Either possiblity could explain your slippage.

Personally looking at how Conetrol rings tighten up on a scope, it looks like it would be really difficult for them to slip IF they are the right size and are installed correctly. Quite a few very expensive custom rifles use them, I don't think they would be on there if they had a record of failure.

I'm not pushing Conetrol, they're expensive and are not my normal first choice but I've had good luck with the ones I've used.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've mounted quite a few Conetrols and have not had any problems. I've mounted far more Talley setups and have nothing but praise for Dave and Gary's products. Talley steel will be heavier than Conetrol but the Mato isn't exactly light so to me the difference is negligible. Both types of rings are very sexy looking to boot. Unless you need a greater range of adjustment I can't justify buying the 30mm. If you already have it pick the rings you like best.

One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
I'm going with the Tallies. I like the way the rings seat into the bases, nothing better for the ole confidence then strong mounts. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I like the Talleys. They are a little hard to get on but once there are solid as a rock.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
Solid is good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I admire Dave Talley (but, of course, he is now retired) and I like his QD rings (compared to the rest which ain't saying much), but personally I'd rather fight the neighborhood bar bouncer than have to mount a scope with his "normal" rings, it takes 3 hands and a hail Mary to get them right AND then you have to do it over again because the scope moved out of plumb while you were juggling them. In short, they're my last choice and I've got several rifles that have them, mostly because they had the bases and/or rings with them when I bought them.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know whether or not you bought fixed or qd rings. Either way they are easy enough to install. I know Fat-Cat had problems with the fixed rings but that has not been my experience. They are simple and if something isn't working it is usually operator error. If you have problems with the rings themselves call Gary or Dave (yeah, he still answers the phone sometimes) and they WILL make it right.

posted Hide Post
Yes, it is possible that the scope was mounted incorrectly. The gunsmith who remounted the scope told me that he has had a number of other scopes slip with Conetrol mounts. In my opinion the design does not lend itself well to secure mounting. It is primarily designed to look good with no exposed screws.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with 7mmfreak, I see the 'Talley's are tough to get on' comment often, and I just don't get it. It may be a tad more time consuming than Leupold of other rings that the bottoms just sit there and you clamp the top down on, but it just ain't that hard to put Talley's on......and I've never had an issue getting a scope squared up--I did read the instructions....once though?

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey Fish

That's what you are doing wrong, reading the instructions! rotflmo

The reason I say Talleys (applicable to the ones shown above in the pictures) are a little tough to get on is

• They grip the tube almost immediately and you have to almost take them off to rotate or move the scope
  • The 90 degree torx tools they send are hard to use and slip easily. You can use an appropriate torx screwdriver but they do not tighten as tight as the tool.
  • You have to almost take the rings off to rotate or move the scope

Well, you get the idea.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woods:

Exactly.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
what I surmise here is that it might be a bit of a hassle to get them set up. But it's a one time thing and worth the effort. Right?

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Surko:
what I surmise here is that it might be a bit of a hassle to get them set up. But it's a one time thing and worth the effort. Right?

100%

I will always buy Talleys if they are availabe for the rifle and I do not need any extended rings.

However, there is nothing wrong with the Weaver style or Warne mounts. They are a little bulkier but very solid also.

I steer clear of the bases and rings with the rear windage screws on the base.

I will use dual dovetails if that is the only option and when I want to use extension rings.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell, it must be the 3 foot cheater bar I use, but I'm able to rotate the scope just fine with the bottom screw socked down, and just loosening the top screw----but maybe it's almost enough to start--taking the scope off!

I do use a Wiha Torx screwdriver, it will get them plenty tight--I also have a socket wrench set up with various Torx sizes, and a Torque Limiting screwdriver with Torx tips--I get them all about the same level of tight with either tool, according to the Torque measuring ones--unless of course I really lean on the socket wrench.

I tried to order some conetrol mounts one time, brutally insane, just a damn brutal process, I couldn't get past it with them, so I never tried them--they look good in the ads though Smiler

What about SKS mounts???--I don't know anything about them myself.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had Conetrol mounts once...but never again...they look slick and all but was never happy with them...switched to Warne and have never looked back. Somehow they are just to clever....

Posts: 184 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
I admire Dave Talley (but, of course, he is now retired) and I like his QD rings (compared to the rest which ain't saying much), but personally I'd rather fight the neighborhood bar bouncer than have to mount a scope with his "normal" rings, it takes 3 hands and a hail Mary to get them right AND then you have to do it over again because the scope moved out of plumb while you were juggling them. In short, they're my last choice and I've got several rifles that have them, mostly because they had the bases and/or rings with them when I bought them.

Well I got the Talley bases and rings, I don't know what I did wrong but they practically jumped out of the box and plopped on the rifle by themselves. Joking aside they were a breeze to install and they look like they could take a nuclear blast, pretty too. thanks for the advice and help guys.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey Gary

It was all that prediction of doom and gloom. Made you approach the job with a little trepidation and be more methodical and cautious resulting in a easier job. thumb

One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
Hey Gary

It was all that prediction of doom and gloom. Made you approach the job with a little trepidation and be more methodical and cautious resulting in a easier job. thumb

Could be. But when I received them and checked them out I saw the plan was to place them on the scope with just the slightest screw engagement, Set them on the bases and slowly torque and adjust scope for eye relief. Quite a nice piece of machining & design.