New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weaver vs Sightron
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to get a high magnification scope for load development. I am looking at the Weaver 24X and the Sightron 24X. They are both in the $400 range, Weaver being alittle cheaper. What do you guy's recommend?

Posts: 157 | Location: Kenosha, WI | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know a couple of benchrest shooters that swear by them.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to Sightron. I've got a bunch of them on my varmint guns. Great glass, reliable adjustments. I'd rate their glass better than a lot of higher-priced scopes (I'd come right out and say Leupold, but that usually starts wars with the die-hard leupy fans).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats the same thing my buddies say about them. They lean towards the Weaver but I dont know why.

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'd strongly lean toward sightron because of the warranty problems guys are having with meade

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you guys reccommend the sightron over other scopes in the $400 to $500 price range. Good glass, good tracking, good warrenty, good recoil resistance? Good price.

Perry are you saying your bench rest buddies like both the sightron & Weaver but lean toward the Weaver?

Posts: 157 | Location: Kenosha, WI | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
JohnnyB,

Take a look at this link:

http://www.6mmbr.com/optics.html

I found it interesting, and it may help you with your decision.

As a side note, I purchased a Sightron Big Sky 1.25 to 5, and I have been quite satisfied. I know it's nothing similar to what you want, but I just thought I would add the info.

Hope this helps,

Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They do lean towards Weaver. In their opinion they think the coatings are crisper, more light transparent and an all around stronger scope. They are all old Germans and know their stuff but everyone is entitled to an opinion. They have been shooting the Grandslams for at least 5-6 years and love them. They also put Weaver GS 3-9s on their hunting rifles. I personally do not own one but it is only because I havent needed a new scope in some years. I like what I have seen in the Weavers though.

Perry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I have used the Weaver T series of scopes for more than 30 years now and even though the earlier ones were steel tubes, made in USA, etc., the new ones are very fine indeed and have had no problems with them whatsoever. Good value for they do come with aluminum threaded lens covers, sun shield, extra knobs for either bench or field use and my current 24X is excellent. When you move the elevation or windage drum one, two or 34 clicks, etc. that is exactly what it is out there on the target. Good scopes for the money, but have some high dollar Leupolds which are also fine scopes, but more than twice the price. Today, if I were to change, would seriously look at the Nikon series of Monarch scopes. Top drawer glass for the bucks.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I just bought a new scope for my .243 12 FV. I looked at just about everything available, including the Sightron S2 and finally went with a Weaver Grand Slam 6.5-20. I've had it out to the range twice now, ignoring light transmission which everyone is at 94-95% with, I honestly feel that the Grand Slam has the crispest image I've seen short of $1k or more. The Sightron has more elevation adjustment than the Weaver, but most feel the Weaver has a better tracking system. It seems pretty much a toss up, what sealed it for me was the Grand Slam on sale for $279 at Natchez.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Browningguy......I noticed the price on the weaver 6X20 also and thought it was a mis-print as it was only for the silver scope not the black matte in same power, they are $55 more. That price will probably move me into a weaver GS, even if it is silver. I wanted the black, but aesthetics are not that important to me. Thanks for the info and input guys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
lf l were looking for a 24x scope l would hit the used scope adds,most times you
can get a nice Leupold 24x for $400 to $425..That is a good deal....

Posts: 43 | Location: Hornell N.Y. | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote