Find
Notify
Tools

Meopta 10x32 HD binoculars
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
Looking for some advice on whether a 10x32 is a good choice for an all around binocular with low light performance as a top priority or whether a pair of 10x42's would be better?

I'm drawn to these Meopta 10x32's for a couple of reasons, the main ones being light weight, they have a FOV of 384 feet at 1000 yards which eclipses alot of 10x42's that have a 340 feet FOV at 1000 yards and that Meopta produces quality optics.

I know that a 42mm objective will let in more light however Meopta lenses have a 99.8% light transmission per lens surface thanks to their coatings (Meobright) and they use Schott glass for their prisms. Can it be assumed that higher quality glass in a binocular with a 32mm objective will make up for the smaller diameter lens compared to a 42mm lens?

Regards,

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think for all round performance if you want the size of a x32 go with the 8x32 and if you prefer a 10x go with a 10x42. It is superior for lower light conditions and I thinbk you'll find the 10x42 easier to hand hold for longer periods of time than the smaller/lighter 10x32

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3699 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I agree with Doug. I have a pair of 8x42 bins, a pair of 12x50's and I had the 10x54 Victory HT's for a brief period to test. I will say my 8x42's are used more than anything.

I would actually prefer to have 6x42 or 7x42 bins over the 8's or 12's. Field of view is what I love about glassing. I can use my 20-60x85 spotting scope to count points or get a better idea of if the animal is worth going after. The wide field of view is easy on my eyes and if I'm watching a mountain side then id rather do less panning and just pick apart the hill through them. A flicker of an ear or tail and they are spotted.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of the 10x42s from Doug when he had them on sale. I'm very pleased with them.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I traded my 8x42 some years ago for a set of 8x30s, both Leica brand..I really like the 8x30 for spotting game that's bedded..If I need more then I would set up a spotting scope..but I seldom do that, I like to mosey around the tops of rim rocks or poke around in the black timber where the big stuff goes after the first shot, I sit more that walk, its an old dudes thang! and it works pretty damn well..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cant speak for the Meopta 8x32, but have used the same in Swaro and Leica and they are really good even in low light and also nice and compact. And i would concur with above comments re 10x. 10x are ok for birding if you want to clearly identify the lesser spotted little brown finch, form the medium spotted little brown finch and tick it off in the bird book. But if you want to use the binoculars to sit and watch and find animals and birds then a 7 or 8x is so much easier on the eye and to keep steady. If you need more power then its called a telescope or pwerful rifle scope, but thats a different job.

And Meopta make superb glasses and give up very little, if any, on zeiss, swarovski etc. Perhaps a minute or two at last light, but in the real world nothing at all.

But if you find a good second hand pair of Zeiss 7x42 BGAT* jump on them fast.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote