New
Find
Notify
Tools

What bases and rings to use? 30-06
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK, I just got a 1988 Remington, 700 ADL 30-06 and want to mount my Zeiss 3-9x40 scope on it. The rifle has open sites that I would like to leave on and use occationaly.

I was thniking of getting the Leupold 2-piece quick release bases
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=532904
And the Leupold quick release medium extended rings
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=536062

Or do you think I would be better off getting a non quick release sytem? If so tell me what has worked well for you.

I would like to be able to remove the scope for iron site use, but my main objective is a mount that will not shift impact durring shooting. I don't mind if I have to make minor adjustments when I take it off and put it back on, but just not while it's mounted and being shot.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would personally use a Burris Signature Zee ring and a pair of steel Weaver (or Weaver compatible, e.g. Warn) bases. I like the Signature products because of their synthetic inserts.

If you absolutely must be able to remove the scope without the use of a tool, an EAW pivot mount is a good (if expensive and somewhat high) option.

I personally don't care much for rings with levers sticking out to catch on something and inadvertently come loose. If I had to use a Leopold QD mount, I'd see if there was not a version without the thumb levers. Some people may also suggest the Talleys. I've gone away from those rings, I just don't like mounting the darn things...

Just a personal opinion.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gohip

I have used those rings and bases on several different rifles, including Weatherbys in 300 340, 375 H&H and 458 Win Mag, as well as Interarms Whitworth Mausers in 375 H&H and 458.

I shot these rifles quite a bit and I never had any return to zero problems or a problem with the levers loosening up durring firing.

In a phone conversation with Leupold they assured me that this mount was strong enough for the 458 Win Mag.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
gohip

I have used those rings and bases on several different rifles, including Weatherbys in 300 340, 375 H&H and 458 Win Mag, as well as Interarms Whitworth Mausers in 375 H&H and 458.

I shot these rifles quite a bit and I never had any return to zero problems or a problem with the levers loosening up durring firing.

In a phone conversation with Leupold they assured me that this mount was strong enough for the 458 Win Mag.

I can't add much to that except to say that my experience is the same. I have had them on a .375 for several years with no return to zero problems and they are plenty strong. I use them with two scopes for my .375 so that I have a sighted in backup if something happens to the primary scope on a hunt.

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
The Leupold's are a good mounting system. Don't overlook the Warne Maxima QD rings and bases as well. I've got them on two rifles one of them is a hard kicking 338-378 Wby and I've never had a problem with them returning to zero or having them slip or break.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote