New
Find
Notify
Tools

scope for grandpa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking to buy a new scope for my father this year. He is getting older, 70+, eyes aren’t what they used to be. The gun is a bolt action browing safari, 30.06. I really doubt he will be taking shots over 250, most of the hunting will be in the truck w/ his wife in the tree’s so it may only be 100 yds.

I would like to keep it under $400. My goto would be the 3x9 Conquest. Before I pick a brand, and because of his eyesight, would you look at a 50mm object? How about a fixed 6x?

3x9x40
3x9x50
6x42

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not as old as your father, but my eyes sure aren't what they used to be. I've got a couple of fixed 6x's and I really like them. For the way you say he'll be hunting I think a 6x would serve him well. I like Leupolds.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm 73 and hanging in there with my eyesight. I was in a bad way until I had new lenses installed in both eyes last July. Now, I'm like I was at age 35 where I can use iron sights again.
A couple of thoughts. I've switched over to all fixed power scopes for Deer size animal hunting, either 4x or 6x. I did that before the new lenses were installed, and with the improved eyesight, I'm very happy with both of those scope powers; great field of view, and easy to get on target. I found that with variables on huting rifles, I would set the power at some intermediate power, like 4x to 6x, and leave it there. This begs the question, why do I need a variable when I set and forget a variable.
The 4x and 6x scopes I have are Leupolds, with the 6x's being the 6x42's. I have a desire to get one of the Zeiss Conquest 4x scopes that Dough at Camerland sells. I hear great things about that scope.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jon b,
welcome 2 our forum! congrat''s on buying your father a new Conquest scope,i'd advise you too go with the 3x9x40 variable. have you ever passed on shooting a deer at 20 yards with a fixed 6 power scope? if the truth be told i'm sure many people have. the 3x9x50 will force the shooter to raise his or her head to high on the rifle stock to make a good cheek weld. regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Conquest all the way! You will be happier than you think you will be with the purchase.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DMP - Thanks for the reply, you have both 4x and 6x. Based on car hunting and the occasional watching of a draw would you get 4 or 6? I am leaning towards the 6.

jjmp- isnt the center of the scope the same? Is the 50mm that much bigger that it will require a different (taller) ring?

Thanks guys!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nobody wants to be stuck with a fixed power scope. They went out of common use decades ago.

A Zeiss Conquest 3-9 will have greater resolution at 9X than any 6X.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jon,
i could be wrong ,but it depends on the bases, rings and the rifle, if the scope bell misses the barrel it could work.
either way your buying your father the best!!! thumb i'm still voteing variable 3x9x40
regards thumb

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6x42

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
6x42

+1

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the 2.5x8 Zeiss Conquest. Doug (gr8fuldoug) of Camera Land has them in the classifieds for $350. These are demos but like new with full warranties. I think they are a great scope for the money. Not too heavy with good eye relief and a long tube for mounting flexibility.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 12FVSS260
posted Hide Post
quote:
Take a look at the 2.5x8 Zeiss Conquest. Doug (gr8fuldoug) of Camera Land has them in the classifieds for $350. These are demos but like new with full warranties. I think they are a great scope for the money. Not too heavy with good eye relief and a long tube for mounting flexibility.

Theres a good idea, another good conquest alternative. I would vote for the 3x9x40 or the above mentioned 2.5x8x32. Both are available for great prices and offer the choice of power levels....something a fixed power just can't do. I would never want a fixed power 6 if a close woods shot was presented that required quick target acquisition.

Focus

If Accurate Rifles are Interesting.........I've Got Some Savage Rifles That Are Getting Mighty Interesting.....

Posts: 257 | Location: Central Maine | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
6x42

+2
Gramps doesn't need to fiddle with a variable.

life member NRA (Endowment)
member Arizona Big Horn Sheep Society
member Arizona Antelope Foundation
member Arizona Wildlife Foundation

Posts: 146 | Location: Oracle, Az. | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The primary problem is a shooter with poor eyesight. Its not with a shooter who fiddles with the power ring!

A scope at 9X will have greater resolution than one fixed at 6X. Thats what he needs, resolution and not fixed thinking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ahab:
quote:
6x42

+2

Exactly. That's why this Gramps went fixed power. I just don't need to fiddle with a variable, or an adjustable objective.
My concentration is on the hunt, not fucking with a variable.
Some guys would rather cut bait than fish.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The fallacy that we all fell for is picking a scope for someone else. Now of course we are experienced shooters and have a good idea of what works for us however when we go to the eye doctor he asks US what do we like a or b, 1 or 2!

Let gramps look through the scopes himself and choose what he can see best with.

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
i've never really understood a fixed power scope for a rifle. if he likes 6x, get a 3-9 and set it on 6 and leave it. but sometimes he might like a different setting, say if he's in the dense woods, so he has the ability to turn it down. its not like you have to fiddle with the power ring every time you pick up the gun. but there again, this is all what we would do, take him to the store and ask him which one he wants, and nevermind our opinions.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a great gesture for Grandpa - nice to have a grandson who thinks like you!

I'd suggest a straight 6X power - don't even want to give Gramps the option of fiddling with anything OTHER than a European Eye Focus Ring Which I would consider as a important option in scope selction for someone with aged eyes. Could potentially assist quicker scope focus.

Much-o easier to adjsut than the screw-forever threaded things found on most US scopes.

While the Zeiss is variable it DOES have this feature and at a VERY good price, too.
Just my $0.02.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to piss on a highly valued internet (and JB article) myth in this post and that myth is the wonderfulness of using a 6X fixed power scope. It's certainly a decent choice for some hunting situations and I've got several of them mounted on rifles, but it AIN"T a good all around choice for most hunters IMNSHO. It's not powerful enough for most hunters to like using it for long shots and it's too powerful for good work on quick or close woods hunting. I'm not saying it won't work in either extreme, it will, especially if that's all you've got, but I am saying it is not the best choice for either far or close. A 6X is a compromise and not the best one at that IMO.

IF I was going to choose a fixed power scope for hunting and assuming I wouldn't be going after something like an antelope or caribou where long shots can be common, a 4X is a helluva lot better choice for most hunting situations (after all MOST game is shot at less than 100 yards) than a 6x and the common 2.5-8, 1/75-6, or 3-9x magnification ranges WITH A DECENT SIZED OBJECTIVE LENSE are a HELLUVA lot better choice than either of the above for an all around hunting rifle. Again, if you hunt one specific animal in one type of terrain, then a fixed power might be the cat's meow, but for most of us, it is neither fish nor fowl but a compromise which is not necessary with today's quality of variable scope, which brings me to my another point, if you're buying yourself or your grandpa one scope, get a good brand name with a solid record, such a Leupold or Zeiss Conquest. I would mention S&B and Swaros but most people aren't able or willing to pay for those scopes especially for a Gramp's rifle.

All that BS about "fiddling" with the scope power adjustment is just that....BS, most people who hunt and have a lick of common sense set a variable on the likely LOWEST setting they can foresee using and turn it up for a long shot AND THEY DON'T FIDDLE WITH IT WHILE HUNTING. Maybe you do, but I sure as hell don't know anyone who sits in a stand or walks around hunting while running the scope power ring up and down. Geesh.

I put most of my variables on about 2 to 3x and leave them there until I need more magnification unless I'm specifically hunting some area where the shots are going to be longer.

If money is tight, get a used Leupie 4X, commonly available for $125 or less, mount it, sight it in, and your gramps is set. If not, look at a GOOD new variable in the power ranges mentioned above.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
anyone want to guess as to why Leupold sells more 3-9x40 scopes than the rest combined.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, I have never learned so much about scopes and how much passion there is between a fixed and a variable. Thank god it didn’t ask for help in deciding which gun to mount it too, either his .270 or his 30.06! I own a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 and for my eyes, it’s the best scope for the money ($399 at Cabelas on sale). Its gonna be a month or so before I make my decision and I may have a couple of questions which I will bring to the forum. I am leaning towards the 6x42 Leupold, 4x32 and 3x9x40 Zeiss. I may look at the 6x42 Zeiss if I am feeling rich, and that I can get the scope “Willed†to me.

Just to reiterate, this scope will be used by an older man (70+) mostly road hunting for mule deer in southern Utah. I do not think there would be a shot over 150 – 200 yds, and nothing under 30 yds. Any other type of hunting is not relevant to my question.

Thanks again

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go with the 3x9 Conquest and never look back UNLESS Gramps likes fixed powers and then I'd get the 6x for his eyes......and you haven't even asked about reticles.... clap

Usually the optic zone or camera land ny have the best prices. Doug at cameraland just came back with a bunch of Zeiss demos from the SHOT show, don't hesitate to buy one from him if it is what you want.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Beutler:
I am looking to buy a new scope for my father this year. He is getting older, 70+, eyes aren’t what they used to be. The gun is a bolt action browing safari, 30.06. I really doubt he will be taking shots over 250, most of the hunting will be in the truck w/ his wife in the tree’s so it may only be 100 yds.

I would like to keep it under $400. My goto would be the 3x9 Conquest. Before I pick a brand, and because of his eyesight, would you look at a 50mm object? How about a fixed 6x?

3x9x40
3x9x50
6x42

If I were in your shoes, i'd buy a 3-9x40 Nikon Buckmaster and never look back. $200 and a lifetime warrantee is hard to beat. Contact Jon or Tammy@ the opticzone.com for a good price. 1-877-564-0286 they are Excellent people to do business with.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
quote:
Originally posted by Ahab:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
6x42

+2

Exactly. That's why this Gramps went fixed power. I just don't need to fiddle with a variable, or an adjustable objective.
My concentration is on the hunt, not fucking with a variable.
Some guys would rather cut bait than fish.

Don[/QUOTE

Don,
There are times when taking the power ring to 9x is advantagious, as in looking at the antlers, fixed powers have their place in this world, just not in grampa's case. If he can't tell 3 from 9 with no AO he should'nt be hunting in the first place.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 12FVSS260
posted Hide Post
quote:
All that BS about "fiddling" with the scope power adjustment is just that....BS, most people who hunt and have a lick of common sense set a variable on the likely LOWEST setting they can foresee using and turn it up for a long shot AND THEY DON'T FIDDLE WITH IT WHILE HUNTING. Maybe you do, but I sure as hell don't know anyone who sits in a stand or walks around hunting while running the scope power ring up and down. Geesh.

Glad to see someone actually come out and say what a lot of people must think when they read all these posts about scope power ring "fiddling". Variables are the best of all possible hunting situations rolled into one. Fixed powers are a compromise no matter how you cut it. Unless of course you can control every possible shot situation that may come up. Get the 3x9 conquest and give grandad the same advantage you have with your conquest. Than someday you will be hunting with it......

Dave

If Accurate Rifles are Interesting.........I've Got Some Savage Rifles That Are Getting Mighty Interesting.....

Posts: 257 | Location: Central Maine | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote