New
Find
Notify
Tools

Used scope buying experience ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Some folks only buy new cars and can share lots of examples of problems that they or their friends have had with used car purchases.

Other folks seem to have good luck with used cars and enjoy driving a $40,000 car they paid half for.

What's the experience with used scopes ?

Realize that there is recoil or abuse damage that the untrained observer could miss. Understand there are scopes which were a risky buy when they were hanging new in their bubble pack from the Walmart peg.

But with name brand scopes, what is the experience of those who purchased used ones ?

Appreciate any insight.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've bought, and still have, two scopes used. One is a 3X Leupold which has worked perfectly on several rifles and one slug firing shotgun. The other is an older 7.5X AO Leupold which has also given first class service.
In buying a used scope, you need to understand that, unless it has super hard coatings like the Leupold LPS series, the optical qualities will probably be reduced to some degree over a new scope. But, unless you need the very best in ability to see detail, that shouldn't be a problem. I would, however, check the lenses for any sign of even the faintest scracthes on the coatings. That would indicate the coatings are damaged.
Some of them may need to be rebuilt if used on hard kickers. Nice to have a used one with a warranty if that's the case.
I've got a buddy who literally hunts all over the world with old steel tube Weavers and used Leupolds in fixed magnifications. Fixed magnification scopes tend to last forever w/o problems. E

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have pretty much stopped buying new scopes and I don’t regret that decision a bit.

I own and use old Weavers, Lymans, and Unertls and for my uses and eyes they can’t be beat. You can get some incredible glass for very reasonable prices if you look around.

I only own and use fixed power scopes so I don’t have much experience with used variables.

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies.

Others ?

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
Most of my scopes are used. Never had any problem whatsoever. Only problem I had was with two new scopes. Both were replaced under warranty.

But I do buy at least medium quality scopes, no cheap, cheap brands.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i must have gone through over 100 used scopes over the years, still have probably 40 or so of them. once in awhile there has been a problem, but very rare. usually i stuck to lyman, redfield B&L or the steel tube weavers. i've had more trouble with the cheap new ones than the good old ones

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Esldude:
Most of my scopes are used. Never had any problem whatsoever. Only problem I had was with two new scopes. Both were replaced under warranty.

But I do buy at least medium quality scopes, no cheap, cheap brands.

I agree, when buying used scopes that I have to pay for with real cash money.

Would like to add, though, that I have also gotten a LOT of really cheap scopes already attached to rifles, in trading deals where all I was after was the rifle.

Oddly enough, those scopes have almost all worked perfectly too! (For general range and hunting purposes...)

As a result, I still have more than just several of Tascos, Bushnell Sportviews, even a Simmons, still lying around on rifles. When they break, I'll just throw them away, but until then, I'm not at all ashamed to have them on the shooting rigs which are habitually in the back of my truck and see lots of hard field duty.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
albert - thats what guns shows are about, pack em up sell themoff cheap to somebody who needs a cheap scope

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
albert - thats what guns shows are about, pack em up sell themoff cheap to somebody who needs a cheap scope

10-4. In fact am off to a gun show this weekend. No scopes to sell this time, though. Sold about 30 of them on eBay during the summer. (All take-offs, but none faulty that I am aware of.)

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use practically nothing other than Leupolds (and an occasional old steel Weaver). The vast majority of my scopes have been purchased used. I've never had one with a problem. But having the Leupold lifetime any-owner warranty and service department behind them gives you a great deal of piece of mind in purchasing a used Leupold as compared to most other brands.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have bought 5 scopes new over the last 10 years.
I have bought ~50 scopes used over the last 10 years.

I used to buy Weaver K-4s for $20 at the gun show.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bought a used Burris 6-24 on ebay & "excellent condition" it wasn't! When I cleaned the dirty lenses, I found two faults on the objetive lens & a very yellow cast when I looked outside at the snow. Had a huge batle before ebay/paypal helped me get the money back. Bought an 8-32 used burris & got a good scope. It can be a coin toss. Probably better to get one at a gun show./chaz

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote