THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mounting a 'scope with 6 ins eye relief?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok, gentlemen, I have a 'long' problem.

I obtained a 4x36 German scope to go on a .375H&H mag. I was concerned about safe eye relief and getting bumped / cut.

The scope has an eye relief of a little over 6 inches. While my .375 is being completed, I mounted the scope on my .338-06 in Talley mounts.

I found that I must move my head back on the stock having shouldered the rifle. Since it is a stalking / deer rifle, while not completely satisfactory, it is not disastrous.

However, when the time comes to mount it on my .375, I am going to have the same problem. Additionally, the scope is 11.75 inches long - a fairly short scope.

So, I was looking for advice.

Would I gain enough eye relief / position by using a side mount mount like Griffin & Howe or Wiliams?

Thanks in anticipation.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey rob

You could help the situation by getting a set of dual dovetail bases, maybe even dual dovetails with the offset front,

dual dovetail offset front bases

then get rings with an offset

offset front ring

and you can move that scope quite a bit.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the links.

At the back of my mind, I thought Leupold might be the way to go. They do seem to have most angles covered and at 'sensible' prices too!

I was wondering what it might take to mount correctly for sight picture / 'scope occular "ring shadow" to obtain full field of view.

Of the other options thought of, besides the side mounts mentioned above, which I quite like the look of, I had thought of the front scope base mounted on the barrel. I have seen this with European, especially German rifles with large diameter objective lenses.

I think this system is a 'claw' mount system, and very expensive. A large diameter front ring is 'wrapped' around the objective lenses and the ring fits into a 'block' base dovetailed / silver soldered onto the barrel just ahead of the receiver. I believe Rechnagel makes these set ups, and as I mentioned above, they are expensive.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the scope is a "long eye relief" scope which are not well suited for rifles unless they are mounted in the "Scout" configuration. You will need to have scope mount holes drilled and tapped to locate the scope further away from your face so that your normal shooting position on the stock doesn't suffer.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote