New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leatherwood Scopes ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is anyone familiar with Leatherwood Scopes? I was wondering what if any problems there have been and how is the clarity compared to say a Nikon Buckmaster or Monarch.

Thanks,
Ron

Posts: 67 | Location: The Pelican State | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t think you will find any scope made by Leatherwood that will compare with a Nikon. They’re “okay†scopes but not in the same category of those of the top makers that use the best glass, the best coatings, and the best manufacturing techniques in the industry.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, like Bushnell, Simmons OK? I'm a bit interested in the bullet drop comp. models..

Thx

Posts: 67 | Location: The Pelican State | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They’re probably on par with either of those manufacturers lower end scopes.

BDC features can be found, and/or added to several brands of scopes. Kenton Industries makes great custom BDC dials for different scopes. I have several sets (windage and elevation) for two Leupold scopes: a 10x tactical and a 3.5x10x tactical. You provide the load data and they can build you the BDC calibrated knobs for your scope.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I've only had one experience with a Leatherwood scope, and I'll be the first to tell you that one shouldn't judge the entire lot on the basis of a single product. A gentleman stopped by with a rifle that needed a bit of work, and while it was here, sighting-in was requested. I didn't even set up the spotting scope as the shooting would be limited to 100 yards (he wanted it dead-on at that range), and viewing a 7mm bullet hole through a modest-powered variable is generally no problem. But this scope could not be focused clearly enough to do so (or, more accurately, it did not have the resolving power to detect a 7mm hole that edged into a line in the target).

That was my lone experience with a Leatherwood scope, but based on that, I'd have to agree with Rick in that in ranks among the lower-level Simmons products.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very well then. Thanks for the feedback on the scopes. I didn't realize that there were add on BDCs available. That'll probably be the route I take. I have several good scopes from Nikon and Thompson Center to use. I visited the Kenton Ind. site and it seems fairly straight forward. Just another reason to work up some good handloads!