New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold Low Power Variable
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I haven't really looked at any of the new Leupold scopes, since they changed all their models. What is the current scope(s) in their catalogue that would compare to one of the Vari-XIII 1-5X, 1.5-6X scopes?

I'm looking to mount this on a .375H&H.

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The comparable scopes are now designated "VX-3" with an Arabic numeral rather than a Roman numeral "III".

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hie!
Take a look at the vx-6 1-6, mounted this one at my 375, great scope with good eye relife and good field of wiew......nice scope.

Terje Kvestad

Posts: 59 | Location: Kongsberg ,Norway | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John Galt
posted Hide Post
I purchased a new VX-3 1.5-5 illuminated with the 30MM tube and mounted it on my RSM in .458 Lott. The damn thing sure feels stout! I haven't shot the rifle enough to give this scope a verdict but the glass is clear, the eye relief is good enough not to take it in the forehead if I get a little careless and I really like the illumination of the very center "+" of the reticle.

I do have to say however if I was going to do it over I'd skip the VX-3 and pick up a new VX-6 1-6 instead. Check out the field of view on 1 power: TRULY AMAZING! I just recently purchased a VX-6 in 2-12x42 and it is great glass with constant eye relief across the entire power range. I think Leupold really outdid themselves with this line!

-John

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
While I am absolutely enamored by Leica's optics I have to admit that I just purchased a vx6 1-6 for my wife's merkel k3 stutzen. The optics of the 6 are very good for the money and the 1-6x is really ideal for quick stalking in a lightweight package. Her rifle is a 7x57r and as soon as we settle on a load I'll order up the CDS and "be done with it".

The fact is, the 6 impressed me enough to consider it for the new double I have on order in 9.3x74r. Although if Lecia ever manages to get their Magnus line into the USA ill probably cave to the Leica.

The 6 is a worthwhile scope.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I just got a VX1 Pig Plex, 1-4 for 200 bucks. plenty good enough for me. I have had VX3s and the new Leopold lower end ones don't any different in quality. I have 3 other Rifleman scopes and they are great. Yes I am cheap and these are great scopes. (oh, I also have Swarovskis and Steiners)

Posts: 17295 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Galt:

I do have to say however if I was going to do it over I'd skip the VX-3 and pick up a new VX-6 1-6 instead. Check out the field of view on 1 power: TRULY AMAZING!

-John

Jepp,the field of wiew is almost like you can se your one ears Wink

Terje Kvestad

Posts: 59 | Location: Kongsberg ,Norway | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gave a short rundown on the vx6 1-6 in another post. The FOV is amazing but you will pick up your front sight at 1 power. Less of problem at 2x which still has a huge FOV. It is a 'fast scope'(easy to pick up the image) with no tunnel vision and is fairly streamlined with great ergonomics. It has held up to hundreds of 450 rounds with no problems. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.