Find
Notify
Tools

Another Cheep Scope Question...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted
I need a scope with higher magnification for my 17HMR NEF Sportster.

Guidelines are:
Can't cost more than the gun, $129
No Trashco's or BSA's
Need fine crosshairs, no mil-dots
At least 12X, although more upper magnification is OK.

Big adjustable turrets are nice but not necessary.

Thanks
ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zeke, I think the Simmons 44mag on closeout at Natchez is about as close as you're gonna get. Dunno how fine the reticle is, I've got the 1056 Mildot version, it's not real fine, kinda medium.

http://natchezss.com/category.cfm?contentID=productDeta...396&CFTOKEN=78403435

The 1048 has 1/8moa clicks and maybe a finer reticle.

http://www.4scopes.com/simmons_scopes.htm

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The crosshairs on the 1048 are not what I'd consider to be fine, in fact they are pretty thick. I have 2 of them.

**STAY ALERT! The world is running out of lerts; we can't afford to lose anymore!**

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have a Bushnell Banner 4x12 on a 17HMR and it is fairly impressive for the money spent , and even has AO , which I figure is pretty handy for these long ranged rimfires . About 90 bucks. You can get Swift premier 4x12 for about $120 and the optics are comparable with many higher priced scopes , they also have a lifetime over-the-counter warrenty .

There is also the Bushnell 6x18 Banner if you want more power , about 130 bucks and alot of folks brag on them , but they are long , heavy , and bulky suckers .

Check the optics forum at rimfirecentral.com . There is alot of discussion on the cheaper scopes .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Read his post again...he wants a MINIMUM 12x scope for under $129.00!

That’s why I said “Good Luck.â€

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I know you said no tasco and BSA but...
I've had a 6-18 x 42 tasco sitting on a Ruger 10-22T for about 7 years now and that gun gets shot ALOT, like 5K to 8K rounds per year. The scope always holds zero and has no problems when cranked around to reach 300 yards and then back to 50 yards. Those little 10-22's are real rattler's too, I finally had to lock the scope base on with #8-32 screws and blue locktite to get it to stop vibrating loose.

They can be purchased with a fine cross and 1/8" dot too and all for under 100 bucks.

I have a 6-24 x 44 BSA 1/8" adjustable on my .22-250 and have no problems shooting 1/2MOA at 300 yards with it. It will pick up the golf tee the target pullers were using to mark my target. Its certenly not the clearest scope but week after week it held zero and did its job. I shot 40 rounds per week for several weeks on 50ft pistol targets set at 300 yards, I could hold 10's and X's with no problem.
Plus several hundred rounds working up target and varmint loads.

What more could I want for $105.

I also have a Simmons 6.5-20x44 MAG. works great and is a touch more clear than than the BSA.

For cheap scopes all three have done their jobs wtih no complaints by me.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cabela's has their "pine Ridge" (house brand)

they have a 3-12x40mm for $99
and a 6-18x40 for $129

Both are side focus and have target knobs.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote